Lowestoft Art Group
The meeting at St Mark's Church Hall on Friday, July 24 was a work night. Members were invited to paint pictures under the heading of Gardens. A range of media was used and in the short time available many members completed their work, while others were able to take unfinished work home for completion.
The meeting at St Mark's Church Hall on Friday, July 24 was a work night. Members were invited to paint pictures under the heading of Gardens. A range of media was used and in the short time available many members completed their work, while others were able to take unfinished work home for completion. There was a wide range of approaches which led to some interesting paintings which were well worth a critique if there had been sufficient time.
Last Friday, Wendy and Alan from Thistles in Bevan Street, gave a talk and demonstration of the variety of approaches Wendy uses to make the best of paintings brought to her for framing. In order to illustrate this, she had four works for which she had produced different mounts and frames - one each from David Balder, Derek Plant, Malcolm Wooltorton and Roly Abbott. Her choices provided members ample opportunity to comment and ask for more detailed descriptions of her approach. Size of mount, colours, inserts and suitable framing showed that Wendy had been very thorough in her preparation and her skill in framing artistically became very evident to those who did not already know of her considerable ability. Wendy was typically modest about her work but showed that she had a good appreciation of what her business should supply to customers. Her demonstration was free and the fortunate artists got their frames free as well. Her and her husband's generosity did not stop there, for they held a free draw in which five lucky members received vouchers to spend at Thistles. They have worked for several years to build up the business which shows determination and dedication.
The next meeting will be the pre-exhibition critique on Friday, August 14.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Confiscation hearing adjourned for North sea jet ski drug smugglers
- 2 New £9m school building opened by children's commissioner
- 3 Popular Lowestoft restaurant revealed as English curry award finalist
- 4 Academy in Lowestoft receives Ofsted praise for 'effective action'
- 5 East Suffolk's coronavirus case rate increases, but rates still half England's average
- 6 Mum of four set to return to the stage in Lowestoft - after a decade away
- 7 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 8 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 9 Thieves steal moped from driveway of home in south Lowestoft
- 10 Is Lowestoft becoming 'party central' of the east coast?