Lowestoft-based Ipswich Town fan detained after Posh game
AN Ipswich Town fan could learn whether he will be prosecuted next week after a flare was ignited during the match against Peterborough.A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said the 34-year-old was taken into custody after the Blues' 3-1 Championship defeat by bottom-of-the-table Peterborough.
AN Ipswich Town fan could learn whether he will be prosecuted next week after a flare was ignited during the match against Peterborough.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Police said the 34-year-old was taken into custody after the Blues' 3-1 Championship defeat by bottom-of-the-table Peterborough.
The supporter, who is from Ipswich, was detained outside the ground just before 9.40pm on Tuesday.
He was arrested on suspicion of possessing a flare at a designated football ground.
You may also want to watch:
After being taken to Thorpe Wood police station in Peterborough, the suspect was released on conditional bail.
The supporter must now return to the same police station on Friday, February 26.
- 1 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 2 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 3 Drivers warned of disruption as work carried out on Bascule Bridge
- 4 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 5 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 6 'A golden medal from your hometown': Amazing support for Olympian
- 7 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 8 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 9 Delays 'possible' warning ahead of footway works in Lowestoft
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
His arrest occurred as a result of a flare being set off in the visitors' stand during the celebrations after Town striker Daryl Murphy opened the scoring in the ninth minute.
A second man, also aged 34 but from Lowestoft, was also detained by police outside the ground around 9.30pm on suspicion of possessing a flare.
However, after being interviewed by officers it was decided no further action would be taken against him.
Meanwhile, Cambridgeshire Police said a third Ipswich fan is due to appear in court in connection with another alleged offence relating to the same match.
Damien Green, of Prittlewell Close, Ipswich, has been charged with using threatening words or behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress. The 22-year-old is currently on conditional bail. He is scheduled to appear before Peterborough Magistrates' Court on March 3.
A 28-year-old Peterborough man is also due to appear before the same court after being arrested following the game.
He was detained at the town's railway station just before 9.50pm. The man has also been charged with a public order offence.