Lowestoft-based trawler Excelsior to set sail for new voyage
- Credit: Archant
An historic fishing smack is to set sail for Norway next month – with an opportunity to join the crew of the Lowestoft-based trawler Excelsior for 'the experience of a lifetime'.
The vessel will be representing East Anglia at an historic sailing smack rally in Norway, which only takes place every four years.
Leaving Lowestoft on June 12, Excelsior will join other similar vessels meeting up at the waterside town of Arendal, in southern Norway.
Here the vessels will be welcomed by the mayor and civic dignitaries, with all ships taking part in the rally open to the public during their stay. There will also be sails to the historic outer harbour of Hesnesøy, with a parade past the city waterfront and a race at sea.
And there are still spaces available on board Excelsior, to be part of a trip of a lifetime.
You may also want to watch:
There are two trips available – with the outward journey running from June 12 to June 21 and the return trip leaving Arendal on June 21 and arriving back in Lowestoft on June 29.
'This is a fantastic opportunity to sail on one of the nation's most important, historic ships with a friendly crew to show you the ropes,' said Excelsior's Mary George.
- 1 Large crowds flock to popular herring and ale fayre
- 2 Duo spared jail for breaking birthday party-goer's jaw in two places
- 3 New service manager unveiled at care home in Lowestoft
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 Latest coronavirus cases show another rise in East Suffolk
- 6 Man charged with robbery after threatening staff with toy gun
- 7 Alexa Auto stolen from car during early morning theft in Lowestoft
- 8 Lowestoft family feature on Channel 5 show with Nick Knowles
- 9 Man appears in court charged with toy gun robbery in Lowestoft
- 10 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
'We welcome anyone aged 14 upwards to join us. You don't need to have sailed before – just be prepared to become part of the crew.
'All you need are sleeping bags and a spirit of adventure to have the experience of a lifetime.'
Excelsior can also offer this trip as part of the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award.
For more details contact Mary George on 0845 308 2323 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you got a Lowestoft story? Email email@example.com