Who needs Brazil? Sun-kissed volleyball tournament attracts nation’s best
- Credit: Archant
Lowestoft beach resembled the sands of the Copacabana as it once again played host to a popular beach volleyball tournament.
Held south of the Claremont Pier, 28 teams of three players from across Norfolk and Suffolk converged on the town on Saturday, June 30, for the fiercely fought annual contest organised by Cefas.
Usually split into novice, intermediate and advanced divisions, the standard of the teams was so high this year that there were two intermediate competitions and one advanced.
After a day of tight battles amid sweltering heat, Norwich team 'Block and Roll' produced the goods to emerge victorious in the advanced division, while teams 'Penicilin' and 'Pegasus' won each of the intermediate divisions.
Co-organiser Thi Bolam said: 'The tournament went really well and it was a bit windy which made playing more challenging and watching more interesting.
You may also want to watch:
'We used to only have local teams but word has spread and it's become a real tradition for people to travel from further afield.'
- 1 Bridge to close with traffic diverted for 'routine' maintenance
- 2 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 3 Driver swore at driver he crashed into before speeding off
- 4 Man charged over screwdriver robbery of teen
- 5 Police appeal for help tracing wanted Suffolk man
- 6 Person rescued after blaze in first floor flat
- 7 15ft-wide abnormal load on A47 this weekend
- 8 Concerns raised over 'excessive' feeding of ducks at popular pond
- 9 Everything to see and do in Lowestoft
- 10 Couple who first met at hotel celebrate six decades of marriage