Who needs Brazil? Sun-kissed volleyball tournament attracts nation’s best
- Credit: Archant
Lowestoft beach resembled the sands of the Copacabana as it once again played host to a popular beach volleyball tournament.
Held south of the Claremont Pier, 28 teams of three players from across Norfolk and Suffolk converged on the town on Saturday, June 30, for the fiercely fought annual contest organised by Cefas.
Usually split into novice, intermediate and advanced divisions, the standard of the teams was so high this year that there were two intermediate competitions and one advanced.
After a day of tight battles amid sweltering heat, Norwich team 'Block and Roll' produced the goods to emerge victorious in the advanced division, while teams 'Penicilin' and 'Pegasus' won each of the intermediate divisions.
Co-organiser Thi Bolam said: 'The tournament went really well and it was a bit windy which made playing more challenging and watching more interesting.
You may also want to watch:
'We used to only have local teams but word has spread and it's become a real tradition for people to travel from further afield.'
- 1 Man charged over attempted robbery with imitation firearm
- 2 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 3 'Ambitious ' Lowestoft heritage regeneration plan hailed by national body
- 4 Busy road near Lowestoft set to close for 'urgent' drainage works
- 5 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 6 Fresh warning after shed burglaries in Lowestoft
- 7 Dad's anger as Lowestoft play area closed off months after daughter's fall
- 8 Woman in 60s airlifted to hospital after medical emergency
- 9 Work to locate 'buried oil deposits' on beach after Eleni V tanker spill
- 10 Works to restore shopfronts dating back to 1860s on High Street