Lowestoft carnival parade will take place this year
THE Lowestoft Carnival parade will go ahead this year, The Journal can today reveal.
The announcement was made following a unanimous decision that was taken after the annual meeting of the Friends of Lowestoft Hospital last night (Monday).
A spokesman said: 'Lowestoft will have a carnival parade this year after all.'
The meeting at Lowestoft Hospital was attended by 20 people including the Mayor Tod Sullivan and John Stannard, a trustee of the Gwen Baker Trust.
They heard the Friends of Lowestoft Hospital chairman, Pat Rayner, tell the meeting of the financial support offered by the Gwen Baker Trust and of the committee's call for the support of the town's people to take part in and help to organise the parade.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Sullivan then responded by offering his help and said that he had had positive feedback about the future of the parade from councillors, the council's partners, town centre traders and young adult groups. He offered to get involved with the organising committee and said that he believed that enthusiasm was definitely there in Lowestoft for a parade.
After the positive vote to go ahead, Mr Sullivan said: 'We need the townsfolk to start thinking now about taking part in the parade and to let us know that they will be joining in. The committee is provisionally thinking the Carnival procession will take place on Sunday, September 23 and I believe that together we can take this forward and make it happen!'
- 1 'Enough to go around' - Drivers urged not to panic-buy at petrol pumps
- 2 Man's death 'remains unexplained' after body found in Lowestoft
- 3 Lowestoft family feature on Channel 5 show with Nick Knowles
- 4 Hunt for three men 'ongoing' after victim hit during Lowestoft assault
- 5 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 6 Have your say about the future of Pakefield's eroding coastline
- 7 Coastal town to feature on BBC One’s Antiques Road Trip once more
- 8 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 9 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 10 Hunt continues for two men involved in assault in Lowestoft