Lowestoft carnival parade will take place this year
THE Lowestoft Carnival parade will go ahead this year, The Journal can today reveal.
The announcement was made following a unanimous decision that was taken after the annual meeting of the Friends of Lowestoft Hospital last night (Monday).
A spokesman said: 'Lowestoft will have a carnival parade this year after all.'
The meeting at Lowestoft Hospital was attended by 20 people including the Mayor Tod Sullivan and John Stannard, a trustee of the Gwen Baker Trust.
They heard the Friends of Lowestoft Hospital chairman, Pat Rayner, tell the meeting of the financial support offered by the Gwen Baker Trust and of the committee's call for the support of the town's people to take part in and help to organise the parade.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Sullivan then responded by offering his help and said that he had had positive feedback about the future of the parade from councillors, the council's partners, town centre traders and young adult groups. He offered to get involved with the organising committee and said that he believed that enthusiasm was definitely there in Lowestoft for a parade.
After the positive vote to go ahead, Mr Sullivan said: 'We need the townsfolk to start thinking now about taking part in the parade and to let us know that they will be joining in. The committee is provisionally thinking the Carnival procession will take place on Sunday, September 23 and I believe that together we can take this forward and make it happen!'
- 1 Bridge to close with traffic diverted for 'routine' maintenance
- 2 Air ambulance responds after man suffers fall in Lowestoft
- 3 Man charged over screwdriver robbery of teen
- 4 Driver swore at driver he crashed into before speeding off
- 5 Police appeal for help tracing wanted Suffolk man
- 6 Person rescued after blaze in first floor flat
- 7 15ft-wide abnormal load on A47 this weekend
- 8 Concerns raised over 'excessive' feeding of ducks at popular pond
- 9 Swimmer in trouble at sea sparks lifeboat and coastguards response
- 10 Everything to see and do in Lowestoft