Lowestoft College fundraise for charity
STAFF and students at Lowestoft College have been rowing to raise funds for a South African charity.Foundation students at the college are always eager to be involved in fundraising efforts and raised �559.
STAFF and students at Lowestoft College have been rowing to raise funds for a South African charity.
Foundation students at the college are always eager to be involved in fundraising efforts and raised �559.60 last Friday with sponsorship for keeping a rowing machine going all day.
Mike Rainton, Foundation student tutor at Lowestoft College, completed his 'hat trick' of cycling the gruelling 874 miles from Lands End to John O'Groats last year, and aims to do it again this year.
Called the 'Race Against Time', it's a sponsored charity ride in aid of the Bishop Simeon Trust, which helps children and their families in South Africa. Their work includes help with those affected by HIV/AIDS, other health issues, poverty, encouraging education and support of families.
You may also want to watch:
There are nine riders taking part this year's Race Against Time, and as usual, Mike is the oldest. He is 64 years of age, and a grandfather three times over. Each year, after the monumental cycle ride, Mike says 'Never again', and then does it again anyway.
In the past three years, Mike and his students have raised in excess of �7,000 for the Trust and are already up to about �2,000 for this year's event.
- 1 Diversions in place as fibre cable works continue in Lowestoft
- 2 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 Families urged to lock their sheds after string of burglaries
- 5 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 6 Severe delays on A146 after two-vehicle crash
- 7 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 8 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 9 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 10 Stricken yacht towed to safety by lifeboat crew