Lowestoft diner's immigrants fine threat
A LOWESTOFT restaurant is facing another hefty fine after being caught employing illegal workers for a second time. The China Diner, in High Street, was raided by UK Border Agency officers on Thursday evening.
A LOWESTOFT restaurant is facing another hefty fine after being caught employing illegal workers for a second time.
The China Diner, in High Street, was raided by UK Border Agency officers on Thursday evening.
Four Chinese members of staff were found to be working at the restaurant illegally.
The four - a 23-year-old man who was breaching his student visa, a 43-year-old male failed asylum seeker, a 41-year-old female failed asylum seeker, and a 44-year-old male failed asylum seeker - have all been detained while arrangements are made for their removal from the UK.
The China Diner now faces a fine of up to �40,000 unless it can prove that the correct pre-employment checks were carried out.
- 1 Road rage incident sees van driver run over by car
- 2 Restaurant owner 'optimistic' for future after Christmas cancellations
- 3 Man arrested in Lowestoft after stop and search finds cannabis and cash
- 4 New homes and retail unit bid for vacant former Tesco store
- 5 Holocaust memorial ceremony to be held at town's rail station
- 6 'Blight' of fly-tipping on rise in east Suffolk as council vows clampdown
- 7 Coastal wreckage scuba diving club searching for new members
- 8 Motorbike stolen during overnight theft in Lowestoft
- 9 Further cold weather alert for Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 'Don't suffer in silence': Support on offer as UK heads for inflation spike