Lowestoft diver’s body was discovered five weeks after he went missing
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
The body of a Suffolk diver was discovered five weeks after he went missing in Dover.
Jane Hammond, 56, from Lowestoft, said she believed her partner of 20 years, George Spence, may have fallen into Dover harbour and been knocked out as he entered the water.
The 61-year-old had travelled to the Kent coast from his home in Lowestoft to join a wreck salvage.
On April 28, he and shipmates went for a meal and drinks while their chartered vessel, the Suffolk Spirit, was docked in the harbour.
It was the last time he was seen until his body was found at the former hover port terminal on the morning of Wednesday, June 3.
You may also want to watch:
Although Kent Police said formal identification was still to take place, on the body was found a bank receipt in Mr Spence's name.
- 1 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 2 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 3 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 4 Warning after man duped into paying £300 to 'forceful' rogue traders
- 5 Two Lowestoft recycling rounds costing £50,000 in contaminated waste
- 6 Sadness at latest Lowestoft town centre store closure
- 7 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 8 'Life and soul of the party': Lowestoft pub boss remembered
- 9 Three men arrested after van targeted in break-in
- 10 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree