Lowestoft & E Suffolk Maritime Society
Thirty members attended the May meeting at Trinity Methodist Church Hall. The speaker for the evening was David Empson and his subject was Medals and Medal Research.
Thirty members attended the May meeting at Trinity Methodist Church Hall. The speaker for the evening was David Empson and his subject was Medals and Medal Research. On display was a large collection and medals and memorabilia which David has collected over many years. British medals go back to Waterloo, 200 years ago. Each medal was named for each man who received the award and a medal was issued to each man who took part in the Battle of Waterloo. Medals were passed around for inspection, including some awarded during the first world war, the Crimean war, with a portrait of Queen Victoria on the front, together with French and Russian medals.
Every medal has an accompanying card, stating details for the award. In the 1914-18 war, 653 medals were awarded for men with the common name of John Smith and a total of 116,000 military medals were awarded altogether.
David, who lives in Martlesham Heath, has recently opened a museum in Ypres, Belgium, and attends many ceremonies to commemorate the first and second world wars, and will shortly be visiting Normandy. A vote of thanks was given to David. He will be returning in August with another collection of his medals.
The next meeting will be on Thursday, June 25 at 7.15pm, for the AGM, followed by a presentation of short films including Brooke Marina shipbuilders and scenes of old Lowestoft.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 2 Hunt for man wanted for assaults in Lowestoft
- 3 Flats in Lowestoft fail to sell at auction
- 4 'Don't ask, don't get' - Town council says no to Lowestoft city status bid
- 5 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 6 Refurbished seafront toilet block set on fire in vandalism spree
- 7 Flood-hit school hails 'amazing' community response
- 8 Thieves steal Range Rover from street in Lowestoft
- 9 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 10 Cash and computer stolen as post office smashed during burglary