Lowestoft, East Suffolk Maritime Society
PUBLISHED: 10:52 03 April 2009 | UPDATED: 08:42 06 July 2010
Thirty-five members attended the March meeting held at the Trinity Methodist Church Hall, Park Road. The scheduled speaker was unable to attend and at short notice the speaker for the evening was John Holmes whose illustrated talk was entitled Random Lowestoft.
Thirty-five members attended the March meeting held at the Trinity Methodist Church Hall, Park Road. The scheduled speaker was unable to attend and at short notice the speaker for the evening was John Holmes whose illustrated talk was entitled Random Lowestoft. He began with scenes of North Lowestoft before and during the first world war including the army camp on the Denes, and the Zeppelin raid on Lowestoft on April 16 1915. Scenes of the Sparrow's Nest Gardens as they used to be with rose gardens and the conservatory, nearby lighthouse, some remain but the old cottages have been replaced. Other scenes around the north end of the town included many shops that no longer exist such as Edwards, London Drapery and Binghams Restaurant. The floods of 1953 showed many roads and houses, especially in the beach village, severely hit when the sea came over the North Sea wall and the area is now an industrial site. Many scenes were of days gone by, including the changing huts on the beach and the donkey rides. Oulton Broad and the wherries and other boats were shown, the Wherry Hotel beside the broad and the Maltings buildings on the other side now converted into apartments. John concluded with a selection of old advertisements including Pears and Lifebuoy soap, Reckitts blue bags, Cadbury chocolate and several makes of cigarettes. A vote of thanks was given to John. Next meeting April 30, 7.15pm when Peter Box will give an illustrated talk on the Belle Steamers Ship Company. New member welcome.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.