Lowestoft employer Hoseasons’ plea on opportunities for young people in town
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A major Lowestoft employer has hit back against claims there are few prospects for young people in the town - but has urged businesses to do more to showcase the opportunities available.
Some of holiday firm Hoseasons youngest workers have described feeling like there were few opportunities for them in the town when they left school a few years ago, with 19-year-old Elle Rodwell saying: 'I genuinely thought there was nothing here.'
But Miss Rodwell, of Nelson Road, Pakefield, is now one of the firm's rising stars, progressing to become an assistant sales team leader before moving to the social media team.
'People always say there's nothing here, but there is,' the former Pakefield Middle and Sir John Leman High School student added.
Her example is just one of many at the American-owned firm, which has its headquarters in Raglan Road, Lowestoft - leading managing director Simon Altham to say: 'We think there's a temptation that Lowestoft, if it is not careful, has a 'glass half empty' view.
You may also want to watch:
'As a business we've got great access to talent that right here on our doorstep but we need to go into the colleges. More businesses need to do that.
'As a business community, we need to educate the local community about what we're actually doing. Business leaders need to colloborate more to present what great opportunities there are for home-grown talent right here.'
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 3 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 4 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 5 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 6 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 7 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 8 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 9 'Dangerous' neck restraint led to death of Pontins guest, inquest finds
- 10 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
Read today's Lowestoft Journal for the full story.