Lowestoft employer Hoseasons’ plea on opportunities for young people in town
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A major Lowestoft employer has hit back against claims there are few prospects for young people in the town - but has urged businesses to do more to showcase the opportunities available.
Some of holiday firm Hoseasons youngest workers have described feeling like there were few opportunities for them in the town when they left school a few years ago, with 19-year-old Elle Rodwell saying: 'I genuinely thought there was nothing here.'
But Miss Rodwell, of Nelson Road, Pakefield, is now one of the firm's rising stars, progressing to become an assistant sales team leader before moving to the social media team.
'People always say there's nothing here, but there is,' the former Pakefield Middle and Sir John Leman High School student added.
Her example is just one of many at the American-owned firm, which has its headquarters in Raglan Road, Lowestoft - leading managing director Simon Altham to say: 'We think there's a temptation that Lowestoft, if it is not careful, has a 'glass half empty' view.
You may also want to watch:
'As a business we've got great access to talent that right here on our doorstep but we need to go into the colleges. More businesses need to do that.
'As a business community, we need to educate the local community about what we're actually doing. Business leaders need to colloborate more to present what great opportunities there are for home-grown talent right here.'
- 1 Flames and spectacular laser lights illuminate skies over pier
- 2 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 3 People stranded on sandspit spark emergency response
- 4 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 5 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 6 Suffolk-built boats relive glory days on Oulton Broad
- 7 Vacancy on town council after resignation
- 8 Vandals rip off car wing mirrors in Lowestoft street
- 9 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 10 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
Read today's Lowestoft Journal for the full story.