Lowestoft evacuees enjoy winter reunion
- Credit: Christopher Brooks
Former Lowestoft evacuees have gathered for their annual winter gathering at the Stella Maris Hall.
Association chairman Brian Baxter, an ex-Lovewell Road Boys School pupil, said there was a good attendance considering the youngest evacuee was now 82 and some are approaching 90.
Secretary Chris Brooks expressed sympathies to those who had lost loved ones during the year and introduced a DVD brought in by Margaret Day showing the Evacuees Memorial being dedicated by the Duke of Gloucester at the National Memorial Arboretum near Lichfield in Staffordshire in July.
The secretary had attended the event on behalf of the Lowestoft Evacuees Association which had donated £100 towards the memorial fund established by James Roffey of the British Evacuees Association.
The next meeting of the former Lowestoft evacuees will be on June 2 at the hall for the summer reunion.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 3 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 4 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 5 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species
- 6 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
- 7 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 8 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 9 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 10 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'