‘We’ll meet again’: Wartime memories to be shared at evacuees reunion
- Credit: Chris Brooks.
Wartime memories will be shared and friendships rekindled this weekend when the Lowestoft Evacuees' Association stages its annual summer reunion.
The get together takes place at the Stella Maris Hall in Gordon Road, Lowestoft from 10.30am to 1pm on Saturday, June 1.
In June 1940 more than 3,000 schoolchildren left Lowestoft on five trains on their way to rural Derbyshire - and 79 years on they still have their two major reunions each year in Lowestoft.
All former Second World War school evacuees and their guests are warmly invited to attend the Lowestoft Evacuees Committee annual
summer gathering with a guest at a contribution of £1 per head.
You may also want to watch:
Secretary Chris Brooks said: "We'll meet again on Saturday, June 1 at the Lowestoft Evacuees annual reunion.
"There is an opportunity to be interviewed for your wartime story, whether or not you were evacuated from Lowestoft, as Clive Capps and Sandra Delf will be present to tell us about plans for the 80th anniversary to be held next year.
- 1 Memorial service for 'wonderful' veteran who helped the community
- 2 'Special' feeling for care home staff following award nominations
- 3 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 4 Man charged over attempted robbery with imitation firearm
- 5 'Ambitious ' Lowestoft heritage regeneration plan hailed by national body
- 6 How businesses which opened in lockdown are doing now
- 7 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 8 Busy road near Lowestoft set to close for 'urgent' drainage works
- 9 Young woman sets up new business with big plans for the future
- 10 Fresh warning after shed burglaries in Lowestoft
"Also Neil Williams, our friend from Glossop, will be present once more to share news from his hometown."
There will also be DVD viewings, refreshments, a buffet lunch and a prize raffle draw.