Lowestoft factory jobs at risk
Hayley MaceNearly 200 jobs are on the line after a timber company has announced that its Lowestoft factory could close.Jeld Wen has launched a 90-day consultation with staff at its factory on Waveney Drive in Lowestoft to discuss the possible closure of the site, affecting potentially 194 workers.Hayley Mace
Nearly 200 jobs are on the line after a timber company has announced that its Lowestoft factory could close.
Jeld Wen has launched a 90-day consultation with staff at its factory on Waveney Drive in Lowestoft to discuss the possible closure of the site, affecting potentially 194 workers.
A spokesman said that the company's profits have been 'adversely affected by the general economic situation, and in particular the construction industry downturn.'
She said that none of the company's other sites in the UK are affected.
The former Boulton and Paul factory, which makes timber windows, doors and stairs, is part of Jeld Wen, which employs 20,000 people worldwide.
t For the full story, see Saturday's paper.
- 1 Three people arrested in Lowestoft as part of burglary crackdown
- 2 Man appears in court for Lowestoft arson offences
- 3 Region's rebel MP: 'Im not grumpy' just acting in my peoples' best interests
- 4 Teenager arrested on suspicion of arson after Lowestoft fire
- 5 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 6 'I was just really drunk' - man squared up to police after pub call-out
- 7 Road closed for 'emergency' repairs to Victorian footbridge
- 8 Lowestoft lighting the way in region's fight against food waste
- 9 Part of A47 closed in Lowestoft due to incident
- 10 Police release CCTV after Honda stolen from car park