Great-great-grandmother celebrates 101st birthday
- Credit: Kingsley Healthcare
A great-great-grandmother celebrated her 101st birthday in style.
Doris Watts was treated to a special birthday tea and enjoyed singing along to her favourite songs with staff at Lilac Lodge care home in Oulton Broad.
Mrs Watts, known as Molly, grew up in the historic Lowestoft Beach Village, having been born at Maltsters Score.
She first worked in the steam laundry at Lowestoft Beach Village, where she had started working as a small girl, before moving to the laundry in Pakefield and later becoming a charge hand at Mortons food factory in the town.
She met her husband-to-be Eric, who came from Bedforshire and was in the army, on a visit to the town, with the couple settling in Minden Road, Lowestoft and raising two sons - Robert and John.
They had been married for more than 70 years when Eric died.
Mrs Watts, who has lived at Lilac Lodge for over five years, has two grandchildren, Dawn and Patricia, six great grandchildren and nine great-great grandchildren.
- 1 Woman in 60s taken to hospital following collision
- 2 Drivers face diversions as bridge set for overnight closures
- 3 Man to be sentenced for drugs charges told jail is 'almost inevitable'
- 4 Boat trip firm hopes to move launches to Heritage Quay
- 5 Films to be screened across district as silent outdoor cinema launches
- 6 Lowestoft primary school's long-serving midday supervisor hailed after retirement
- 7 Locked mountain bikes stolen from cycle rack outside supermarket
- 8 Lowestoft boxer Charley Davison’s Olympic medal chase - how it could unfold
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of murder in Gorleston is released on bail
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency