Lowestoft harbour jobs boost welcomed
AN MP has welcomed the news that 150 jobs could be created in Lowestoft by investment in renewable energy.Associated British Ports announced yesterday that the port has been chosen as the operational base for the Greater Gabbard wind farm, which is being built off the Suffolk coast.
AN MP has welcomed the news that 150 jobs could be created in Lowestoft by investment in renewable energy.
Associated British Ports announced yesterday that the port has been chosen as the operational base for the Greater Gabbard wind farm, which is being built off the Suffolk coast.
The development - including a headquarters building, helicopter launching pad and base for high-speed hovercrafts - could create 150 long-term skilled jobs in the town.
Mr Blizzard said today: 'This is great news for Lowestoft, and shows the difference green energy can make to our local economy.
You may also want to watch:
'This is another step nearer to Lowestoft becoming the wind energy capital of Britain - we are perfectly placed to make the most of this new industry.
'The government has selected the area off our coastline for the next round of expansion of offshore wind power, too, so we can look forward to seeing yet more jobs in the future.
- 1 Hotels launch search for more than 20 new staff members
- 2 Lowestoft man fined £2,000 for noise offences after warning
- 3 New restaurant offering 'finest Asian cuisine' opens in Lowestoft
- 4 School sites targeted as vandals cause damage across Lowestoft
- 5 New operator to be unveiled for Lowestoft pavilion regeneration
- 6 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 7 Bomb disposal unit detonate device found on beach
- 8 Vulnerable man abused by group of youths in Lowestoft
- 9 National recognition as care home 'heroes' are honoured
- 10 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch
'Combined with the research jobs from organisations such as CEFAS and the Orbis centre, this will give a new lease of life to Lowestoft and make us a centre of excellence for high-tech marine industries.'