Lowestoft harbour jobs boost welcomed
AN MP has welcomed the news that 150 jobs could be created in Lowestoft by investment in renewable energy.Associated British Ports announced yesterday that the port has been chosen as the operational base for the Greater Gabbard wind farm, which is being built off the Suffolk coast.
AN MP has welcomed the news that 150 jobs could be created in Lowestoft by investment in renewable energy.
Associated British Ports announced yesterday that the port has been chosen as the operational base for the Greater Gabbard wind farm, which is being built off the Suffolk coast.
The development - including a headquarters building, helicopter launching pad and base for high-speed hovercrafts - could create 150 long-term skilled jobs in the town.
Mr Blizzard said today: 'This is great news for Lowestoft, and shows the difference green energy can make to our local economy.
'This is another step nearer to Lowestoft becoming the wind energy capital of Britain - we are perfectly placed to make the most of this new industry.
'The government has selected the area off our coastline for the next round of expansion of offshore wind power, too, so we can look forward to seeing yet more jobs in the future.
- 1 Pair running Suffolk cannabis factory worth up to £167k jailed
- 2 Mystery surrounds container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast
- 3 Banksy mural created to spark debate after town's artwork was sold
- 4 Bid to demolish countryside home to build church
- 5 TV and prescription medicine stolen from Lowestoft home
- 6 Plans to redevelop major town centre building to be discussed
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 9 Man bitten on the nose as he tried to make citizen's arrest
- 10 Car smashes through barrier after two-car crash in Lowestoft
'Combined with the research jobs from organisations such as CEFAS and the Orbis centre, this will give a new lease of life to Lowestoft and make us a centre of excellence for high-tech marine industries.'