Lifeboat launched to aid sailor with medical problems
- Credit: Lowestoft RNLI
A lifeboat crew were called out to assist a sailor, who suffered a medical emergency aboard a Begian yacht.
The Lowestoft RNLI relief lifeboat, RNLB Cosandra, was tasked with going to the aid of a casualty aboard a Belgian yacht, which was 26-miles offshore.
The 20m twin masted sailing yacht was on its way from the Netherlands to the Faroe Islands when it requested help earlier this morning (Monday). With the man 'disorientated' and suffering medical problems, a doctor – who had spoken to the yacht crew – decided the symptoms were not suitable for the man to be airlifted by helicopter, and so the lifeboat was launched.
Lowestoft Lifeboat Coxswain John Fox said: 'We were called out at 7.17am and when the lifeboat reached the yacht, sea conditions were relatively bumpy. 'With assistance from lifeboat crew members the man was able to step across the yacht into the lifeboat and we sped back to harbour, arriving about 9.30am, to be met by an ambulance crew and coastguards.'
The man subsequently walked to the awaiting ambulance and was taken to hospital.
You may also want to watch:
This was the second call-out in quick succession for the lifeboat crew, with the relief lifeboat called out yesterday (Sunday) afternoon following reports a speedboat had ran aground on a sandbank close to Claremont Pier in Lowestoft.
But as the lifeboat launched to the speedboat, with two people on board, a jetski helped out and assisted in getting the speedboat off the sandbank.
- 1 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 2 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 3 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 4 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 5 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 6 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 7 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 8 'Dangerous' neck restraint led to death of Pontins guest, inquest finds
- 9 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 10 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
The lifeboat crew members checked everything was fine aboard the speedboat and the two people were 'safe and well,' as the lifeboat was returned to station.