Lowestoft Lions welcome new president
- Credit: Archant
Charity stalwart Robin Smith has taken over the reins as president of the Lowestoft Lions Club for the second time.
Mr Smith, who has been a Lion for 18 years and was president in 2001, is a retired safety inspector. He was installed as president for 2015-16 at a dinner and changeover ceremony attended by 50 fellow Lions, their wives and friends held at Carlton Manor.
For the coming year, Mr Smith will continue to lead the club in its support of disability events, including the disability swimming gala and the Bike Active initiative, which gives adults with disabilities access to specially adapted bikes. He he also vowed to work to increase the membership of the club and to further promote the culture of giving help to the community with support in kind as well as financial.
Mr Smith added that plans are well advanced for the Lions' annual Gala Day event to be held on August Bank Holiday Monday at Nicholas Everitt's Park, Oulton Broad. This year's event will star Steve Colley's Motorcycle Stunt Show and Britain's Got Talent semi-finalist Jeffrey Drayton, as well as the ever-popular Maiden In Distress raft race and a grand finale fireworks display.
He thanked departing president Michael Cook for his sterling work during his year in office, in which more than £20,000 was raised for local, national and international causes.
You may also want to watch:
? Lowestoft Lions meet at Carlton Manor in Carlton Colville on the first and third Tuesday of the month at 8pm.
- 1 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 2 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 4 Seaside town to test flood defences to prepare for 'tidal surge'
- 5 Pizza branch to expand into another unit
- 6 Air ambulance responds after man suffers emergency in Lowestoft
- 7 New group offering specialist support to children and youngsters
- 8 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 9 Power tools stolen during Lowestoft shed burglary
- 10 Man caught with indecent images of children as young as two to be sentenced