Father-of-three died after running into his burning flat to save dog
- Credit: Archant
A 'kind and loving' father-of-three from Lowestoft died after running into his burning flat to save his dog, an inquest has heard.
Bricklayer Carl Bell, 52, died on December 2, 2016, from smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in his first floor flat on Roman Road.
The inquest heard he was visiting his friend on the ground floor when, just before noon, when he was told there was thick smoke and flames coming out of his home.
According to a statement from his friend Peter Freeman, on hearing about the blaze Mr Bell ran straight upstairs to try and rescue his beloved Staffordshire Bull terrier Munchie.
It read: 'I told him 'get out, there's a fire in your flat Carl.
You may also want to watch:
'He then said 'where's my dog, I am going to get Munchie.'
'Carl disappeared into the smoke and that was the last time I saw him.'
- 1 Best friends to launch sweet shop together in seaside town
- 2 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 3 Plea to help find 17-year-old missing since February 2
- 4 Tributes to kind-hearted dad-of-three who died from Covid
- 5 Peter Aldous: 'Great opportunities for future of special Lowestoft'
- 6 Police receive nearly 140 calls about Covid breaches during sunny weekend
- 7 Brexit: What does it mean for Lowestoft's fishing industry?
- 8 'Help us make a new outside space': Appeal to transform school's playground
- 9 Covid vaccination centre opens at former court building
- 10 Motorists face 25-mile diversions with roads set to be closed
Mr Bell's body, and that of Munchie, were later discovered by firefighters just yards away from each other in his flat.
A fire investigation report, conducted by Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, revealed the blaze most likely started due to an electric heater that had been left on in the flat.
The report said it was likely a wax jacket that had been drying close to the heater had caught alight, or that Mr Bell's dog had knocked the electric fire onto the carpet.
Giving a conclusion of accidental death, Suffolk area coroner Nigel Parsley praised the courage of firefighters who entered the building to check for casualties.
Mr Bell's sister Pippa Ward, who also thanked the firefighters for their bravery, described her brother as a 'very loving person' who was always there to lend his friends a hand.
She said: 'He was always there to help people out and he was very kind. Carl was a very loving person, he was very friendly and would give away everything he had to help someone.
'The dog meant so much to him because it belonged to his past partner who died of cancer.
'He will be missed.'
A post mortem examination showed Mr Bell had died as a result of smoke inhalation and alcohol excess.