Lowestoft man died in 'tragic' accident
A YOUNG motorist died when his car left the road at speed and hit a lamppost in Lowestoft, an inquest heard.Craig Hewitt, of Cowslip Crescent in Carlton Colville, near Lowestoft, picked up two female friends from Corton Road at about 1pm on November 14 last year.
A YOUNG motorist died when his car left the road at speed and hit a lamppost in Lowestoft, an inquest heard.
Craig Hewitt, of Cowslip Crescent in Carlton Colville, near Lowestoft, picked up two female friends from Corton Road at about 1pm on November 14 last year.
About half an hour later Mr Hewitt, 22, was driving his gold Peugeot 306 back towards the surgery when he overtook a blue Citroen on Corton Road.
The inquest in Lowestoft heard yesterday (March 12) that Mr Hewitt drove into the 30mph area at an excessive speed. As he drove through a narrowed section of road, his car hit the central traffic island, struck the kerb, mounted the nearside footpath and hit a lamppost. The car was then thrown across to the other side of the road.
You may also want to watch:
The emergency services were called and the two female passengers managed to get out of the car, but Mr Hewitt had suffered fatal injuries and died at the scene.
Greater Suffolk coroner Peter Dean said: 'Essentially the speed was over the limit when the Peugeot struck the central traffic island and sadly Craig sustained fatal injuries in the collision. Sadly, what took place was a very tragic accident.'
- 1 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 2 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 Charity walkers celebrate some unexpected news
- 5 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 6 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 7 Former butchers shop in Lowestoft is sold at auction
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 How well do you know Lowestoft?
- 10 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
He recorded a verdict of accidental death.