Lowestoft man died in 'tragic' accident
A YOUNG motorist died when his car left the road at speed and hit a lamppost in Lowestoft, an inquest heard.Craig Hewitt, of Cowslip Crescent in Carlton Colville, near Lowestoft, picked up two female friends from Corton Road at about 1pm on November 14 last year.
A YOUNG motorist died when his car left the road at speed and hit a lamppost in Lowestoft, an inquest heard.
Craig Hewitt, of Cowslip Crescent in Carlton Colville, near Lowestoft, picked up two female friends from Corton Road at about 1pm on November 14 last year.
About half an hour later Mr Hewitt, 22, was driving his gold Peugeot 306 back towards the surgery when he overtook a blue Citroen on Corton Road.
The inquest in Lowestoft heard yesterday (March 12) that Mr Hewitt drove into the 30mph area at an excessive speed. As he drove through a narrowed section of road, his car hit the central traffic island, struck the kerb, mounted the nearside footpath and hit a lamppost. The car was then thrown across to the other side of the road.
You may also want to watch:
The emergency services were called and the two female passengers managed to get out of the car, but Mr Hewitt had suffered fatal injuries and died at the scene.
Greater Suffolk coroner Peter Dean said: 'Essentially the speed was over the limit when the Peugeot struck the central traffic island and sadly Craig sustained fatal injuries in the collision. Sadly, what took place was a very tragic accident.'
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 4 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 5 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species
- 6 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 7 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
- 8 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 9 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 10 What's opening in Waveney from May 17?
He recorded a verdict of accidental death.