Lowestoft man with violent past jailed for pub attack

This Lowestoft man with a history of violent offences has been jailed for seven months for attacking two men in a wine bar.

Barrie Hart had been drinking before he punched and slapped Robert Wicks and Matthew Brown in the Broadview Wine Bar in Oulton Broad on Tuesday, February 8.

He also struck a police officer after he was arrested.

As Hart, 27, of Charter Way, was jailed yesterday (Thursday) after admitting actual bodily harm, common assault and assaulting a police officer magistrates heard he had 19 previous convictions for violence.

Lowestoft Magistrates' Court was told Hart, a father of two, had been drinking with a friend when he went into the wine bar.

Mitzy Bond, prosecuting, said Hart started abusing Mr Wicks and Mr Brown.

After offering Mr Wicks, a builder, outside for a fight Hart then assaulted him by slapping him around the face.

Most Read

Hart then caused actual bodily harm to Mr Brown by punching him in the face, causing a large lump to appear.

Mrs Bond said: 'The next thing he(Mr Brown)remembers is waking up in hospital.'

She added: 'This is all captured on CCTV, unfortunately for the defendant.'

After being arrested Hart tried to bite a police officer and while handcuffed assaulted one by striking out.

The court heard Hart had five previous convictions for actual bodily harm, 12 previous convictions for assault and assaulting police and two previous convictions for wounding.

His latest three convictions meant Hart breached a suspended prison sentence for a previous conviction.

Richard Mann, mitigating, said Hart had not been in trouble for 18 months and had stopped drinking as he now had a young family with two children.

His partner was also expecting another child in June.

The court heard Hart lapsed into his old ways after he met a old friend on Tuesday and started drinking with him.

Mr Mann aid: 'Two drinks turned into three , etc etc. Unfortunately he became drunk.

'He has tried very, very hard to settle down.

'He bitterly regrets his actions. He is ashamed.'

Hart was jailed for four months for actual bodily harm, assault and assaulting a police officer. An extra three months was added for breaching a suspended prison sentence.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter