Lowestoft mother is inspired to fund-raise after her son’s life-changing accident

Esther Fisher-Cook (back) with her mother-in-law Gerie Shires on the fund-raising stall.

Esther Fisher-Cook (back) with her mother-in-law Gerie Shires on the fund-raising stall. - Credit: Archant

It was a freak accident that left a Lowestoft mother fearing for her son's life.

Callum Shakespeare representing the Team GB sledge hockey team 2010/11

Callum Shakespeare representing the Team GB sledge hockey team 2010/11 - Credit: Archant

And recalling the 'horrific ordeal,' Esther Fisher-Cook has spoken out about how her son's life-changing accident has inspired her to fund-raise to help people rebuild their lives.

Mrs Fisher-Cook feared she 'was going to have to say goodbye' to her son, after he fell out of a second-storey window when visiting a friend in London.

Callum Shakespeare was 21 when he suffered the accident, which has left him unable to walk again. The former Kirkley High School pupil had just graduated from university in Greenwich.

Shortly after 10pm on August 12, 2008, he was visiting a friend who lived above a shop on the other side of London. It was when he was putting on his shoes to leave, that the life-changing accident happened.

You may also want to watch:

'He was talking to his mate and putting his shoes on,' Mrs Fisher-Cook recalled.

'He put his second shoe on and the next minute he toppled out of the window.

Most Read

'He must have leant back or something and fell head first down onto the concrete. We don't really know how it happened.'

Mrs Fisher-Cook, who was at home at the time, spoke to the Metropolitan Police and paramedics over the phone before beginning the journey to the capital shortly after 1am.

Mr Shakespeare was taken to the Royal London Hospital after being fully sedated at the scene.

'I was praying that he would come out of it alive and that his injuries were not too severe,' Mrs Fisher-Cook added.

'When we got the call I wondered if I was going to have to say goodbye – it was one of the most horrendous things you can imagine.'

Mr Shakespeare had severely damaged his spinal cord but just 19 hours after the accident he was off the ventilator and transferred to a surgical ward.

Surgery took place the following day and a week later, he was transferred to the London Spinal Cord Injury Centre based in Stanmore, North London where he spent 10 weeks before being discharged.

Remarkably, Mr Shakespeare, who is now 28, has remained defiant, independent and determined to carry on his life as normal. He is a keen sledge hockey player – a game which uses a modified metal frame sledge, with two regular-sized ice hockey skate blades that allows the puck to pass underneath.

He competes for the Peterborough Phantoms, and represents Team GB.

Mr Shakespeare now lives in Edgware, North London with his girlfriend, has a full-time job working for Victim Support and has gained a masters degree at the Open University.

Do you know someone who is raising money in Lowestoft? Email joe.randlesome@archant.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter