Mum-of-two who lost 8st in a year launches slimming group
- Credit: Archant
A woman who lost nearly half her body weight and went on to win a national award for her inspirational weight loss journey is launching her own slimming group.
Just over two years ago Hollie Barrett got so out of breath chasing her little girl up the stairs that she was unable to read her a bedtime story.
But after dropping from 17st 11lbs to 9st 3lb in just 13 months and swapping her size 20 clothes for a size 8, Miss Barrett, from Blundeston, is ready to share her success with other slimmers.
The mum of two was crowned Slimming World's National Woman of the Year last November, after being nominated by her group and making it through the district and semi finals.
She said: 'I cannot find the words to describe the moment when my name was called out as the winner. It was so surreal and I still have to pinch myself now. Being told I was Woman of the Year out of almost a million members was just amazing. I couldn't believe people found little old me inspirational.'
You may also want to watch:
Miss Barrett, 31, joined the Beccles Slimming World group after suffering with her health, refusing to socialise and feeling like a failure as a mother. She lost 9.5lbs in her first week and after 13 months reached her target weight.
She said: 'As incredible as it feels, it meant so much more than just the physical appearance. I am able to be the mum I always wished I could be to my children Ethan, 12, and Imogen, five. Instead of sitting on the pool side I get my costume on and join in with my partner, Tom, and the kids. We go on long walks together and I can kick a ball about with Ethan. The pain I used to suffer with in my joints has disappeared and I can get down on the floor to do a puzzle with Imogen.'
- 1 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 2 Coronavirus cases in East Suffolk almost double in a week
- 3 Tributes paid to 'intelligent, humble, quiet and caring' family man
- 4 Seafood restaurant and bar set to transform historic Lowestoft pub
- 5 Lowestoft-area high school honours Year 11 students with glitzy prom
- 6 O2 phone store burglars facing jail terms for break-in
- 7 Sexual misconduct allegations against Suffolk police officers revealed under FoI laws
- 8 Businesses pitch in to give vital support to Lowestoft charities
- 9 Joy as CityFibre backs Lowestoft landmark with sponsorship deal
- 10 Man charged after late night crash in Lowestoft
And following a whirlwind year, Miss Barrett is relaunching the Newtown Methodist Church Slimming World group in Great Yarmouth on Thursday, November 2.
She said: 'I cannot think of anything more incredible than to support others to reach their very own weight loss dreams. I feel honoured to be given the opportunity to help and support people as they embark on their very own journey.'
Her groups will run every Thursday at 5.30pm and 7.30pm.