Mum who lost eight stone joins other slimmers in clothes throw for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
Slimmers in a Lowestoft are celebrating losing weight by donating their old clothes to charity.
As part of a national campaign - The Big Slimming World Clothes Throw - members of the St Andrew's Church Slimming World group were invited to donate clothes, shoes, bags and accessories they no longer need since losing weight to local shops via a bag collection at their group.
And linking up with slimmers at the Newtown Methodist Church group in Great Yarmouth, members donated 162 bags between them. Each bag is worth around £25 to Cancer Research UK, making a total of £4,050.
Jayne Wilby, 45, who lives in Lowestoft, has lost eight stone since joining the group in February 2016 and was one of those to clear out her wardrobe.
She said: 'I want to support cancer research as we recently lost my uncle to prostate cancer and I want to help stop the heartache and devastation that affects families when they lose a loved one to cancer. Supporting Cancer Research UK by donating clothes that no longer fit because I have lost weight makes me feel great, I'm doing my bit to find a cure to beat cancer.
You may also want to watch:
'I love Slimming World as it allows me to have a healthy lifestyle and still enjoy food. It fits in to my family life as we all now have a healthy eating plan.
'Being part of our Slimming World group gives me the support and advice that I need to carry on. Everyone is really friendly and if you've had a difficult week they are all there to lift you up and give you ideas to help you deal with it.'
- 1 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 2 New shop set to open in Lowestoft town centre
- 3 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 4 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 5 'Inspirational' Olympian Charley honoured during visit to former school
- 6 Seaside town to test flood defences to prepare for 'tidal surge'
- 7 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 8 NessFest to return to Lowestoft with free events all week
- 9 New group offering specialist support to children and youngsters
- 10 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
As well fundraising, Slimming World also aims to raise awareness of the links between obesity and cancer. Being overweight or obese increases your risks of developing 13 different types of cancer, including bowel, kidney and breast cancer.
Weight loss consultant Ali Burrell, who runs the St Andrew's Church group, said the annual clothes throw is one of her favourite events in the calendar.
She said: 'It's such a liberating feeling having the confidence to bag up clothes you'll never fit into again, all while raising money for an extremely important cause.'
The St Andrew's Church group meets every Friday at 10am or noon. Call Ali on 07824166388 for more information.