Lowestoft named Enterprise capital of UK
Mark BoggisLOWESTOFT was celebrating today (Tuesday) after being named the enterprise capital of the UK.The seaside town has been hailed as a place that has transformed itself from a town in decline hit by industrial downturns into a breeding ground for business growth.Mark Boggis
LOWESTOFT was celebrating today (Tuesday) after being named the enterprise capital of the UK.
The seaside town has been hailed as a place that has transformed itself from a town in decline hit by industrial downturns into a breeding ground for business growth.
The most easterly place in the country, which ranks in the bottom 15 most deprived areas in the UK, beat off competition from London, Glasgow, Hull, Anfield in Liverpool, Merthyr Tydfil in south Wales, and Chatham in Kent to win the Government-run award at a prestigious ceremony yesterday (Monday).
Thanks to funding from the local enterprise agency Norfolk & Waveney Enterprise Services (NWES), the first centre for performing arts opened and money was invested in renewable energy.
You may also want to watch:
Scott Cain, deputy chief executive of Enterprise UK, said: 'Lowestoft and specifically NWES has demonstrated outstanding vision and drive to become this year's Enterprising Britain winner. It's an inspiring story of inspiring people coming together to change lives.'
To find out more about this success story, be sure to buy this Friday's Journal.
- 1 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 2 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 3 Drivers warned of disruption as work carried out on Bascule Bridge
- 4 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 5 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 6 'A golden medal from your hometown': Amazing support for Olympian
- 7 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 8 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 9 Delays 'possible' warning ahead of footway works in Lowestoft
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls