Lowestoft named Enterprise capital of UK
Mark BoggisLOWESTOFT was celebrating today (Tuesday) after being named the enterprise capital of the UK.The seaside town has been hailed as a place that has transformed itself from a town in decline hit by industrial downturns into a breeding ground for business growth.Mark Boggis
LOWESTOFT was celebrating today (Tuesday) after being named the enterprise capital of the UK.
The seaside town has been hailed as a place that has transformed itself from a town in decline hit by industrial downturns into a breeding ground for business growth.
The most easterly place in the country, which ranks in the bottom 15 most deprived areas in the UK, beat off competition from London, Glasgow, Hull, Anfield in Liverpool, Merthyr Tydfil in south Wales, and Chatham in Kent to win the Government-run award at a prestigious ceremony yesterday (Monday).
Thanks to funding from the local enterprise agency Norfolk & Waveney Enterprise Services (NWES), the first centre for performing arts opened and money was invested in renewable energy.
You may also want to watch:
Scott Cain, deputy chief executive of Enterprise UK, said: 'Lowestoft and specifically NWES has demonstrated outstanding vision and drive to become this year's Enterprising Britain winner. It's an inspiring story of inspiring people coming together to change lives.'
To find out more about this success story, be sure to buy this Friday's Journal.
- 1 Lowestoft gets £24.9m for key town centre projects
- 2 'Foolish' - Landowner could face prosecution after drilling into trees
- 3 A12 closed following serious three-vehicle crash
- 4 Delays expected as 48-ton boat is transported through region
- 5 Dangerous double drug-driver awaits sentence for injuring cyclist
- 6 Man in 20s among further Covid deaths at Norfolk hospital
- 7 Traffic problems as bridge lights stuck on red
- 8 Man charged following early morning burglary attempt
- 9 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft
- 10 The voice of the Shipping Forecast publishes latest fox storybook