Lowestoft Parkrun launched in style
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Runners of all ages limbered up as the most easterly Parkrun was launched against the backdrop of a beautiful coastline.
Organisers of the inaugural Lowestoft Parkrun hailed the success of the non-competitive event, which was officially launched two Saturday's ago.
Exactly 200 runners lined up on the startline on the seafront, close to the Hotel Hatfield, and made their way along the promenade.
The runners slalomed around a three mile (5km) course, which progressed past the Claremont Pier, down onto the lower promenade and past the beach huts and lifeguard station before climbing the steep hill near Cefas and back down towards the Hotel Hatfield – with the finish line situated within the gardens of the Wellington Esplanade.
Organiser Rob Fawcett, at Access Community Trust, praised all the volunteers and the runners who had made it a success.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Fawcett said this was the most accessible route – even though it was not in a park setting, as suggested by the event name.
'We have had a great turnout and perfect weather,' he said. 'The premise is to encourage exercise for everyone and we welcome anyone from Olympians to complete beginners.
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 3 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 4 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 5 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 6 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 7 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 8 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 9 'Dangerous' neck restraint led to death of Pontins guest, inquest finds
- 10 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
'It's important that Lowestoft has their own Parkrun, being the most easterly point, and this is a perfect location. It's been a real success.'
? For more information visit www.parkrun.org.uk/lowestoft
? Have you got a Lowestoft story? Email email@example.com