Lowestoft Players’ version of Grease impresses
- Credit: Archant
REVIEW - Lowestoft Players, Grease at the Bethel Theatre
There's something about Grease that makes it so popular, so feel-good, so 'Summer Nights', with its string of what have become classic pop songs like Grease is the Word, Greased Lightnin', Hopelessly Devoted to You, Sandy and You're the One That I Want.
Lowestoft Players bring their high energy, enthusiastic and professional team approach to the American High School, teenage rom-com in all its colourful, musical and fun-filled entertainment.
The 'will they/wont they' couple Danny (Tom Guttridge) and Sandy (Isabelle Anderson) are well-matched and The Pink Ladies (Claire Doughty, Lorna Tucker, Angie Smith and Emily Simpson) are perfect foils to the T-Birds (Lawrie Groom, Ricky Reeve, Daniel Hughes and Simon Warren).
The company onstage, pit singers behind it and the band above are spot on with the songs and routines. Among the cameos, sleazy DJ (Stephen Shields), uptight teacher (Rosamund Payne), school nerd (Campbell Trotter) and gloriously over the top Teen Angel (Craig Lovett) stand out.
You may also want to watch:
Director Harriet Chambers and her team do a magnificent job encouraging the best from the players, making an unmissable, foot-tapping night out.
- 1 Man charged over attempted robbery with imitation firearm
- 2 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 3 'Ambitious ' Lowestoft heritage regeneration plan hailed by national body
- 4 Busy road near Lowestoft set to close for 'urgent' drainage works
- 5 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 6 Fresh warning after shed burglaries in Lowestoft
- 7 Dad's anger as Lowestoft play area closed off months after daughter's fall
- 8 Woman in 60s airlifted to hospital after medical emergency
- 9 Work to locate 'buried oil deposits' on beach after Eleni V tanker spill
- 10 Works to restore shopfronts dating back to 1860s on High Street