Lowestoft police investigating sexual attack on 17-year-old girl
Anthony CarrollDetectives are appealing for information after a 17-year-old girl reported being sexually assaulted in Lowestoft this morning.Anthony Carroll
Detectives are appealing for information after a 17-year-old girl reported being sexually assaulted in Lowestoft this morning.
Police were on patrol in Marine Parade around 1.30am when they came across three girls.
One was distressed and reported that she had been sexually assaulted.
She said she had been walking from Lowestoft High Street through the town centre when she was joined by a man who started to talk to her. She told him to go away but the man continued to follow her.
The 17-year-old then crossed Katwijk Way and was near the traffic lights, on the path leading to Tonning Street, when she was grabbed, pushed against a wall and sexually assaulted.
It is thought the man stopped sexually assaulting her because he may have been disturbed by a passing car.
- 1 Part of A47 closed in Lowestoft due to incident
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Police seek help to identify man after wallet theft
- 4 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 5 Suspect identified in seafront hate attack
- 6 Lowestoft man jailed after breaching restraining order within an hour
- 7 Crackdown on second home owners exploiting tax loophole on coast
- 8 Hospitality businesses braced for change after face mask announcement
- 9 Arsonist to be sentenced after admitting starting blaze at block of flats
- 10 Street to be decorated with Christmas decorations for Children's charity
He was white, with large hands and was wearing blue jeans and smelt of alcohol and aftershave.
Detectives are now viewing CCTV footage from the area and officers are carrying out house to house enquiries.
Anyone with information on the sexual assault, which happened between 12.30am and 1.30am, should contact Lowestoft CID on 01986 835300.