Lowestoft retailers delighted with start of sales
THE New Year sales have got off to a strong start in Lowestoft this week with hundreds of bargain hunters in the town.
Retailers have been delighted with the response of people in the Waveney area as it follows a good pre-Christmas trading period.
Stores in the Lowestoft area were supported in the run-up to the festive period by The Journal's Shop Local Campaign which encouraged people to use shops in the town and also offered an opportunity to win a prize of �1,000.
The lucky winner was 83-year-old Bernard Rudd, of Kingfisher Court, Lowestoft.
Simon Morris, store manager at the Westgate Department Store, London Road North, Lowestoft, was delighted with the start of the sale.
You may also want to watch:
'We opened on Boxing Day with our sale and have been extremely busy ever since. It has been a great start to the sale and trading has been very strong indeed,' he said.
Mr Morris also reported that the store had enjoyed a successful trading period before Christmas.
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 3 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 4 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 5 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 6 Firefighters rescue kittiwake caught in controversial netting
- 7 Driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving after crash in Lowestoft
- 8 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
- 9 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 10 New faces announced for town councils after election votes counted
'Like everyone else we had to accept there were days when the weather was so bad a lot of people did not turn out but overall we have been delighted with the response of our customers.
'I believe the weather helped us and other stores in the Lowestoft area because people were not prepared to drive to Ipswich, Norwich or other large centres and concentrated on shopping in their local town,' he said.
The January sales have also been well supported in other stores across the Lowestoft area, including Palmers department store, and other independent and national retailers.
Stores are offering discounts of 70pc and 50pc to tempt shoppers and there has been no shortage of bargain hunters.