Lowestoft royal fans camp out in Westminster to get front-row seat for wedding
ROYAL fans started have started camping outside Westminster Abbey – and a Lowestoft family have staked their claim to a front-row view of the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
Among those who have set up tents in the capital are Nicole Godderham, her husband Jimmy and her sister Bernadette Smith, all from Lowestoft.
They were enjoying the dry weather in the capital yesterday (Tuesday), as they sat outside their tents on camping chairs – all ready for the pomp and pageantry on Friday.
Also setting up temporary home on the pavement was Guen Murray, 76, of Attleborough in Norfolk who arrived to take up a place outside Westminster Abbey with a bedding roll, suitcase and a large ball of wool to knit during quiet moments.
The mother-of-four and grandmother was planning to camp until Friday to ensure her place. But she said one of her daughters has booked her a hotel room as a 'contingency.' Daughters Catherine and Patricia were with her and she was due to be joined by her third daughter Barbara today along with two grandchildren.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Murray said she had camped outside Buckingham Palace for Prince Charles and Diana's wedding in 1981. She was also present for Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson's wedding and in Windsor for the wedding of Charles and Camilla.
'I grew up during the war and the royal family became very popular, I have a great deal of respect for them,' she said.
- 1 Confiscation hearing adjourned for North sea jet ski drug smugglers
- 2 Man hit with club and struck with knife in Lowestoft assault
- 3 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- 5 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 6 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 7 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 8 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 9 Smokehouse welcomes arrival of new fish smoking kiln - by crane
- 10 Unique 'upside down' home with panoramic views is for sale
'The wedding will be great, I think they both deserve a good day, they have waited long enough, haven't they?