Lowestoft salon a cut above
An independent hairdressing salon has been shortlisted in a national award once again.
Code Hair Consultants in Oulton Broad made the cut at the National British Hairdressing Business Awards in early September, making the top six in the independent salon business newcomer category.
It was the second time they have achieved the recognition in only their second year of business.
It was sheer delight for director and owner of the salon, Laura Bull, who set up the company in February 2010.
Laura said: 'It's a massive achievement – you are going up against big salons across England and Scotland.
You may also want to watch:
'It recognises the business brain behind the hairdressers, for me personally that is the best thing. I left school at fifteen, didn't have very good grades and this recognises how far I've come, my hard work and determination.'
Laura is a colour expert and the salon specialises in hair colouring, however, she has gained recognition as much for her engagement with the local community as for her expertise and success.
- 1 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 2 Friends launch fantasy horse racing site to combat problem gambling
- 3 Relief for kittiwakes as controversial netting removed
- 4 Lowestoft man badly hurt after being attacked by gang in his own home
- 5 Man released from hospital after being stabbed in Lowestoft
- 6 Have your say on plans for 150 homes at former hospital site
- 7 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
- 8 Green light for new shop's alcohol bid
- 9 Lockdown easing to go ahead - but Hancock won't rule out reversal
- 10 Diversions in place with stretch of A12 to be closed overnight
The salon has been involved in charity work such as a fundraising ladies' night at the Winelodge bar and Laura has helped youngsters prepare for employment by training them in the art of hair and beauty.
'There are not many jobs around, and young people are finding it hard to get work,' she said.
'When our girls leave school they are going to walk straight into a job, as they already know in-depth hairdressing skills.'
Laura has hopes of opening a dedicated training school in the future.
The awards night was held at the Lancaster Hotel in London, where Laura and her staff got to meet celebrity stylists including Trevor Sorbie, Nicky Clarke and Andrew Collinge.
The salon has also been featured in the magazine, Hairdressers Journal.
Salon owner Laura Bull is pictured, right.
Picture: NICK BUTCHER