Lowestoft: Taste of the great outdoors
PUPILS from schools around Lowestoft have been benefitting from a scheme which encourages young people to enjoy life outdoors.Suffolk Wildlife Trust's Youth Outdoor Experience (YOE) project gives youngsters the chance to learn about nature and conservation while improving their teamwork skills and building confidence.
PUPILS from schools around Lowestoft have been benefitting from a scheme which encourages young people to enjoy life outdoors.
Suffolk Wildlife Trust's Youth Outdoor Experience (YOE) project gives youngsters the chance to learn about nature and conservation while improving their teamwork skills and building confidence.
Based at Carlton Marshes, the YOE programme provides weekly outdoor lessons, and pupils from Denes High School in Lowestoft have been taking part during the autumn term, spending one afternoon a week enjoying activities including outdoor cooking, building shelters, kite-making and beach trails.
YOE project worker Lorna Kerrison said: 'It's all about encouraging them to take part in activities in a different setting. We hope it promotes teamwork and helps to build social skills. Their attitudes towards other people, and towards nature, change and it is great to see.
You may also want to watch:
'One of the target groups is teenage girls, who often do not take part in much sport or outdoor exercise. We also try to involve outdoor cooking in the sessions where possible because many of these young people don't eat very healthily.
The pilot scheme, which ends next year, is one of eight green exercise projects in the East of England funded by Natural England.
- 1 Sex offender caught with indecent images avoids prison
- 2 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 3 Best friends to launch sweet shop together in seaside town
- 4 'A big thank you' - Superheroes salute key workers and NHS staff
- 5 Plea to help find 17-year-old missing since February 2
- 6 When do the clocks go forward in 2021?
- 7 Police receive nearly 140 calls about Covid breaches during sunny weekend
- 8 Where are Norfolk and Waveney's Covid vaccination sites?
- 9 Tributes to kind-hearted dad-of-three who died from Covid
- 10 Covid vaccination centre opens at former court building