Lowestoft teenager's burglary spree
A TEENAGER who broke into homes across Lowestoft during a month-long burglary spree has been sentenced to a six-month detention and training order.The 17-year-old boy - who cannot be named for legal reasons - has been sent to a young offenders' institution after he admitted committing eight burglaries at homes in the town in March and April this year in which property worth more than �5,000 was stolen.
A TEENAGER who broke into homes across Lowestoft during a month-long burglary spree has been sentenced to a six-month detention and training order.
The 17-year-old boy - who cannot be named for legal reasons - has been sent to a young offenders' institution after he admitted committing eight burglaries at homes in the town in March and April this year in which property worth more than �5,000 was stolen.
In one, he climbed into the home of a 91-year-old woman as she slept and stole a camera and cash.
Appearing at Lowestoft Magistrates Court, the teenager also pleaded guilty to an attempted burglary, a theft from a caravan and a burglary at a summerhouse at another home - admitting 11 offences in total.
You may also want to watch:
Det Insp Darrell Skuse, of Lowestoft police, told The Journal: 'He was one of a number of offenders active in Lowestoft earlier this year, many of whom have now been traced and charged with offences.
'A lot of work has been put in to catching those believed to be responsible for house burglaries in the town over the past eight months, including patrols by uniformed officers, investigation by CID, forensic work by scenes of crime officers, intelligence gathering, crime reduction work and a concerted effort by all at Lowestoft to disrupt the activities of prolific offenders.
- 1 Man in 20s among further Covid deaths at Norfolk hospital
- 2 Delays expected as 48-ton boat is transported through region
- 3 Lowestoft gets £24.9m for key town centre projects
- 4 When do the clocks go forward in 2021?
- 5 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 6 Pontins accused of using discriminatory 'undesirable guest' list
- 7 'A big thank you' - Superheroes salute key workers and NHS staff
- 8 The voice of the Shipping Forecast publishes latest fox storybook
- 9 Best friends to launch sweet shop together in seaside town
- 10 Sex offender caught with indecent images avoids prison
'This is now beginning to pay off with several burglars already jailed and other individuals currently going through the court process,' Det Insp Skuse added. 'We know how distressing burglaries can be for the victims and yet these offenders have no thought for the misery and upset they are causing.
'We are pleased that he has admitted these burglaries and gone some way to giving these victims some peace of mind that the offender has been caught and jailed,' he added.
Under an initiative known as Operation Converter, offenders are being encouraged to admit their crimes and be sentenced for them all at the same time, rather than face being charged with offences later.
This has allowed the police to clear up a number of crimes.
'This gives them some credit for admitting their crimes as they are under no illusion that they could face further punishment at a later date,' said Det Insp Skuse. 'If they haven't learnt under this process and they go on to commit further crimes on their release they should then face a heavier sentence.'
In sentencing the 17-year-old last week, Lowestoft magistrates gave the teenager credit for his early guilty plea and his assistance with police in relation to the taken into consideration offences.
17-year-old's list of crimes
THE offences admitted by the 17-year-old, were:
March 4: House burglary at home in Victoria Road; cigarettes, jewellery, a mobile phone, clothing, sunglasses, digital camera and a bottle containing coins taken with total value of �2200.
March 8: House burglary at Carlton Colville; handbag, cash, cards and glasses totalling �400 stolen
March 17: House burglary at Carlton; digital camera and cash were stolen with total value over �100
March 18: House burglary at Harebell Way; laptop worth �300 stolen
March 20: House burglary at Run Meadow; two ipods, two digital cameras, �145 cash, two wallets and bank cards totalling �895 stolen
March 20: Burglary at summer house at Run Meadow - nothing stolen
April 1: House burglary at Waveney Drive; laptop, handbag, purse containing cash, cards and keys with total value of �427 taken
April 2:- House burglary at Stephensons Walk; mobile phone and four pairs of gold earrings stolen with total value �280.
April 6-7: Caravan break-in at Stephensons Walk - nothing stolen.
April 6-7: Attempted burglary at home in The Meads.
April 13: House burglary at Norwich Road; DVDs, a 26in flatscreen TV was stolen with total value over �500.