Lowestoft timber factory to close
Hayley MaceA major Lowestoft employer will close in the New Year with the loss of up to 200 jobs.Timber manufacturer Jeld Wen has announced today that it will be closing its factory on Waveney Drive over the coming months, a move which will potentially affect 194 jobs.Hayley Mace
A major Lowestoft employer will close in the New Year with the loss of up to 200 jobs.
Timber manufacturer Jeld Wen has announced today that it will be closing its factory on Waveney Drive over the coming months, a move which will potentially affect 194 jobs.
Staff and union representatives met on Friday to discuss the future of the site, but staff have been told this morning that the factory will close.
A Jeld Wen spokesman said: 'Due to the economic conditions, particularly affecting the construction industry, we are left with no alternative but to close the Lowestoft site.
You may also want to watch:
'We are now working closely with unions to discuss the next phase and staff at the site are being updated as we work through the consultation process.'
GMB Union representative Ivan Mercer said: 'From the very first meeting that I had with Jeld Wen it looked very unlikely that there was going to be any chance to save the factory.
- 1 Official unveiling for new nature reserve boardwalk in Lowestoft
- 2 Woman, 18, victim of possible sexual assault in Lowestoft
- 3 Drivers warned of disruption as work carried out on Bascule Bridge
- 4 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 5 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 6 'A golden medal from your hometown': Amazing support for Olympian
- 7 Popular laser lights display set for welcome return to pier
- 8 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
- 9 Delays 'possible' warning ahead of footway works in Lowestoft
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
'This is a blow for the whole town, not just for the workers. It's a real kick in the teeth for Lowestoft.'
t For more on this story, see tomorrow's newspaper.