Lowestoft timber factory to close
Hayley MaceA major Lowestoft employer will close in the New Year with the loss of up to 200 jobs.Timber manufacturer Jeld Wen has announced today that it will be closing its factory on Waveney Drive over the coming months, a move which will potentially affect 194 jobs.Hayley Mace
A major Lowestoft employer will close in the New Year with the loss of up to 200 jobs.
Timber manufacturer Jeld Wen has announced today that it will be closing its factory on Waveney Drive over the coming months, a move which will potentially affect 194 jobs.
Staff and union representatives met on Friday to discuss the future of the site, but staff have been told this morning that the factory will close.
A Jeld Wen spokesman said: 'Due to the economic conditions, particularly affecting the construction industry, we are left with no alternative but to close the Lowestoft site.
You may also want to watch:
'We are now working closely with unions to discuss the next phase and staff at the site are being updated as we work through the consultation process.'
GMB Union representative Ivan Mercer said: 'From the very first meeting that I had with Jeld Wen it looked very unlikely that there was going to be any chance to save the factory.
- 1 Delays expected as 48-ton boat is transported through region
- 2 Man in 20s among further Covid deaths at Norfolk hospital
- 3 Lowestoft gets £24.9m for key town centre projects
- 4 A12 closed following serious three-vehicle crash
- 5 'Foolish' - Landowner could face prosecution after drilling into trees
- 6 Man charged following early morning burglary attempt
- 7 The voice of the Shipping Forecast publishes latest fox storybook
- 8 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft
- 9 Parts of Waveney could be Covid-free for first time in months, figures show
- 10 Pontins accused of using discriminatory 'undesirable guest' list
'This is a blow for the whole town, not just for the workers. It's a real kick in the teeth for Lowestoft.'
t For more on this story, see tomorrow's newspaper.