Lowestoft timber factory to close
Hayley MaceA major Lowestoft employer will close in the New Year with the loss of up to 200 jobs.Timber manufacturer Jeld Wen has announced today that it will be closing its factory on Waveney Drive over the coming months, a move which will potentially affect 194 jobs.Hayley Mace
A major Lowestoft employer will close in the New Year with the loss of up to 200 jobs.
Timber manufacturer Jeld Wen has announced today that it will be closing its factory on Waveney Drive over the coming months, a move which will potentially affect 194 jobs.
Staff and union representatives met on Friday to discuss the future of the site, but staff have been told this morning that the factory will close.
A Jeld Wen spokesman said: 'Due to the economic conditions, particularly affecting the construction industry, we are left with no alternative but to close the Lowestoft site.
'We are now working closely with unions to discuss the next phase and staff at the site are being updated as we work through the consultation process.'
GMB Union representative Ivan Mercer said: 'From the very first meeting that I had with Jeld Wen it looked very unlikely that there was going to be any chance to save the factory.
- 1 Garden transformed into Christmas winter wonderland for local causes
- 2 Man arrested in connection with Lowestoft assault
- 3 Milk in the spotlight for thought provoking projection in Lowestoft
- 4 67-year-old Lowestoft drug dealer found with £200,000 of cocaine jailed
- 5 Suspended sentence for former church worker who indecently assaulted girl
- 6 Lowestoft car damaged after being covered in food and brake fluid
- 7 Suffolk seaside village named among coastal property hotspots
- 8 Man 'remains under investigation' after car crashed into home
- 9 Pub landlord cautious but optimistic over new Omicron variant
- 10 Roadworks to know about in Lowestoft this week
'This is a blow for the whole town, not just for the workers. It's a real kick in the teeth for Lowestoft.'
t For more on this story, see tomorrow's newspaper.