Lowestoft woman bought car off eBay with cheque that bounced
A YOUNG Suffolk woman drove off in a car which had been advertised on eBay after handing over a cheque for �10,500 which later bounced, a court has heard.
Bobby-Jo Beckett, 20, had been given the cheque by a man she knew who also provided her with other documents which she took with her when she went to pick up the vehicle, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Beckett, of Henham Road, Lowestoft admitted fraud by falsely representing to the owner of a Nissan Navara that a cheque was good and valid.
She was given a 12 month community order with 12 months supervision by the probation service and a two month curfew from Thursday -Sunday from 8pm -6am.
Michael Crimp, prosecuting, said the Nissan had been advertised for sale on eBay for �10,500.
You may also want to watch:
A man contacted the owner about buying the vehicle and in August last year Beckett and another man had driven to Oxfordshire to collect it.
Beckett handed over a cheque which had already been made out for the purchase price and had driven off in the vehicle.
- 1 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 2 Teens arrested in connection with burglaries and arson at Lowestoft schools
- 3 Man and woman accused of supplying cannabis and money laundering
- 4 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 5 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 6 Former butchers shop in Lowestoft is sold at auction
- 7 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 8 'Together again': Swans reunited after dog attack in Lowestoft park
- 9 Local recruitment crisis for dentists in east Suffolk
- 10 How well do you know Lowestoft?
Mr Crimp said the police were notified after the owner of the car received a call from a car dealer who was suspicious after being offered the Nissan for sale for �4,500. The owner got his vehicle back but incurred costs of �300 to recover it.
The court heard that Beckett told a probation officer that she would have received half of any profit made from selling the vehicle.
Andrew Thompson for Beckett said she was easily influenced by young men she associated with.