Lowestoft woman to have tea at palace
FORMER land girls, including a woman from Lowestoft, have been invited to take tea with The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.The three former members of the Women's Land Army and Timber Corps (WLA) have been invited to take part in a prestigious event in London next week.
FORMER land girls, including a woman from Lowestoft, have been invited to take tea with The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh.
The three former members of the Women's Land Army and Timber Corps (WLA) have been invited to take part in a prestigious event in London next week.
Around 90 ladies from across the UK, each with a guest, have accepted an invitation from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) to lunch at The Royal Opera House on Wednesday, October 21, followed by tea at Buckingham Palace, in celebration of their service on the home front during World War II.
All the Suffolk representatives - Mrs. Lucy Ransom from Hadleigh, Mrs. Dorothea Allen from Lowestoft and Mrs. Daphne Stebbings from Shotley - received their WLA Veterans' badges last year and were nominated by The Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk, The Lord Tollemache, to attend this event.
You may also want to watch:
Lord Tollemache commented 'In May I was delighted to attend a Service in St. Edmundsbury Cathedral to celebrate the wonderful work performed by the Women's Land Army during World War II. We had a splendid gathering of ladies from all over Suffolk.
'I am delighted that three ladies from Suffolk will be having lunch at The Royal Opera House, followed by tea at Buckingham Palace. There is no question that they will have a wonderful and memorable day'.
- 1 Duo spared jail for breaking birthday party-goer's jaw in two places
- 2 Large crowds flock to popular herring and ale fayre
- 3 New service manager unveiled at care home in Lowestoft
- 4 Man charged with robbery after threatening staff with toy gun
- 5 Latest coronavirus cases show another rise in East Suffolk
- 6 Alexa Auto stolen from car during early morning theft in Lowestoft
- 7 Air ambulance responds to woman in 20s after emergency in Lowestoft
- 8 New lease of life with go-ahead for apartments above former McDonalds
- 9 Further overnight works scheduled for A47 with north Lowestoft closure
- 10 Man appears in court charged with toy gun robbery in Lowestoft