Lowestoft youngsters learn about life at a Victorian School
CHILDREN at a Lowestoft school stepped back in time to experience what life was like for their predecessors more than 100 years ago.
Pupils at Fen Park Primary in Kirkley dressed in Victorian costumes last Friday and enjoyed lessons that taught them about the history of their school.
After more than a century of education at the site in Lovewell Road, the school will be relocating to a new home in Southwell Road, on the former Kirkley Middle School campus, in the new year.
Deputy head Zeegan Warne said: 'It was held to commemorate the building and the fact that we are going to be leaving it at Christmas.
'Key Stage two pupils have been doing work about the Victorians and Key Stage one have been working on an enquiry about the area.'
You may also want to watch:
The pupils dressed in traditional outfits for the day with girls donning black dresses, mob hats and pinnies. Boys wore flat caps, white shirts and trousers tucked into their socks. Some came dressed as chimney sweeps with blackened, sooty faces.
Mrs Warne added: 'The children put a lot of effort into their outfits. They did Victorian work during the day such as handwriting.
- 1 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
- 2 'The buzz is great' - Market stall owners take reins at town pub
- 3 Empty town centre shop sells at auction
- 4 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 5 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card
- 6 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days
- 7 New faces announced for town councils after election votes counted
- 8 Firefighters rescue kittiwake caught in controversial netting
- 9 Coastal Post Office branch to close for four weeks
- 10 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
'The lessons were very formal; it was different to how we would usually work on a Friday.
'We will be sad to leave the building, which has been here for more than 100 years, but we are looking forward to being in our new premises.'
Children in year three also held an assembly about the school and decorated their classrooms with pictures of Queen Victoria.
For more pictures from Fen Park's Victorian day, log on to: www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk