Man arrested after suspected arson in north Suffolk home
A MAN has been arrested on suspicion of arson following a house fire in north Suffolk.
At about 10pm last night (Thursday) police were called to a house in Wissett Road, Halesworth, following reports from residents that a man had set fire to his own home, the end house of a terrace.
The officers arrived at the house within minutes and helped the man, who was in his 40s, to safety before arresting him on suspicion of arson.
A police spokesman said that nobody had been injured and that the man was the only person inside the house.
He said: 'At 10.01pm we received a call to police that a male had set fire to his own home.
You may also want to watch:
'We attended and there was one male occupant who was taken out by police officers. He is the resident of the property and has been arrested on suspicion of arson.
'As a precaution his immediate neighbours had been evacuated while the fire was brought under control.'
- 1 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 2 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 4 Seaside town to test flood defences to prepare for 'tidal surge'
- 5 New shop set to open in prominent town centre store
- 6 Pizza branch to expand into another unit
- 7 Air ambulance responds after man suffers emergency in Lowestoft
- 8 New group offering specialist support to children and youngsters
- 9 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 10 Power tools stolen during Lowestoft shed burglary
The spokesman also confirmed that police staff had contacted the fire service.
Four fire engines were sent to the scene from stations in Halesworth, Bungay, Saxmundham and Wrentham.
Firefighters used a hose reel jet to tackle the flames, which had broken out in the front room but were out by 10.38pm.
A Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said four engines had been sent as several neighbours had reported smelling burning inside their homes and there were initial fears that the blaze had started spread into neighbouring loft spaces.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus have stayed at the house to help ventilate the property.
An East of England Ambulance Service spokesman confirmed that they had not been called to the incident.