Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- Credit: Mick Howes
A man has been arrested on suspicion of firearms offences after an incident in Lowestoft on Saturday afternoon (September 18).
London Road South was partially closed on Saturday while police dealt with the situation, and a 38-year-old man was arrested at around 1.45pm.
He has been taken to Great Yarmouth Police Investigation Centre for questioning.
There were no reported injuries during the incident.
A number of police units, including armed officers, attended the scene.
London Road South has now reopened and as of 2pm the response was winding down, with some police vehicles leaving the scene.
Some officers remain in attendance as investigations continue.
A local shop owner said: “The road was closed for two and a half hours and nobody could come to my shop.
- 1 Taco Bell set to open in McDonald's former town centre premises
- 2 Coastwatch volunteer encourages public to stay on the lookout for body parts
- 3 WATCH: Moment teen pulls BB gun on shopkeeper
- 4 Man arrested and charged following robbery at Shell garage
- 5 Woman arrested after cannabis and edible highs seized in police raid
- 6 Work under way to provide beach access for everyone
- 7 Blue Flag status returns to seaside town for first time since 2018
- 8 Jail for man caught with £1,000 of cocaine in car
- 9 Find a new family for cat made homeless after a puppy moved in
- 10 Talented 12-year-old twins to represent England as stature of club grows
“Normally it is a busy time.”
A resident said: “I couldn’t go to the shop. I didn’t know what was going on. I saw about 13 police cars going past where I live.
“I went to come down to the shop and I couldn’t get in. It was all blocked off. The police said you can’t come through here.”
Another local business owner said: “At about 12pm, the police closed off the road, when a chunk of police turned up carrying weapons.”
Earlier this afternoon, people inside the KFC in London Road South were told to stay indoors.
Speaking at 12.45pm, a woman inside the restaurant who did not wish to be named said: "I can see three armed police standing by a car plus one police officer with a dog also standing there."