Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- Credit: Mick Howes
A man has been arrested on suspicion of firearms offences after an incident in Lowestoft on Saturday afternoon (September 18).
London Road South was partially closed on Saturday while police dealt with the situation, and a 38-year-old man was arrested at around 1.45pm.
He has been taken to Great Yarmouth Police Investigation Centre for questioning.
There were no reported injuries during the incident.
A number of police units, including armed officers, attended the scene.
London Road South has now reopened and as of 2pm the response was winding down, with some police vehicles leaving the scene.
Some officers remain in attendance as investigations continue.
A local shop owner said: “The road was closed for two and a half hours and nobody could come to my shop.
- 1 Diversions in place as fibre cable works continue in Lowestoft
- 2 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 Families urged to lock their sheds after string of burglaries
- 5 Severe delays on A146 after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 7 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 8 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 9 Care home tenant takes on walking challenge after cancer battle
- 10 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
“Normally it is a busy time.”
A resident said: “I couldn’t go to the shop. I didn’t know what was going on. I saw about 13 police cars going past where I live.
“I went to come down to the shop and I couldn’t get in. It was all blocked off. The police said you can’t come through here.”
Another local business owner said: “At about 12pm, the police closed off the road, when a chunk of police turned up carrying weapons.”
Earlier this afternoon, people inside the KFC in London Road South were told to stay indoors.
Speaking at 12.45pm, a woman inside the restaurant who did not wish to be named said: "I can see three armed police standing by a car plus one police officer with a dog also standing there."