Warning issued after man shoots birds’ nest
- Credit: Archant
Attacks on wildlife in Suffolk 'will not be tolerated', police have warned.
Sergeant Brian Calver, who is part of Suffolk Constabulary's rural crime team, made the comments after a man was cautioned for shooting down a birds' nest with an air rifle in the Lowestoft area.
The man was interviewed and cautioned by police following the incident on Thursday. One weapon was seized and the man surrendered a further four air rifles.
Sgt Calver said: 'We want to highlight that this sort of crime will not be tolerated.
'Wildlife needs a voice to protect it and we will take action whenever possible.'
You may also want to watch:
Sgt Calver also reminded people that all birds are protected, even common garden species, and anyone found causing harm could face prosecution.
He said the force had received previous reports of people shooting at birds' nests but the evidence was not always available to take action.
- 1 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 2 New shop set to open in Lowestoft town centre
- 3 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 4 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 5 'Inspirational' Olympian Charley honoured during visit to former school
- 6 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 7 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 8 NessFest to return to Lowestoft with free events all week
- 9 Seaside town to test flood defences to prepare for 'tidal surge'
- 10 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
During the latest incident, Sgt Calver said that although the house martin nest had been shot at, it appeared no birds had been harmed.
'We believe the fledglings had flown the nest,' he said.
'Although we do believe that it was an active nest, used by the adult birds, there was no evidence that any bird had been harmed.'
Sgt Calver said the man appeared to have shot at the nest because he did not like the look of it on his house.