Man charged with Sir Bobby thefts
A MAN has been charged with theft after a number of shirts and scarves left in tribute to Sir Bobby Robson were stolen from outside Portman Road.Suffolk police said a man was seen running past the Station Hotel, Burrell Road, with his hands full of Ipswich Town shirts in the early hours of Saturday morning.
A MAN has been charged with theft after a number of shirts and scarves left in tribute to Sir Bobby Robson were stolen from outside Portman Road.
Suffolk police said a man was seen running past the Station Hotel, Burrell Road, with his hands full of Ipswich Town shirts in the early hours of Saturday morning.
They were alerted to the incident by a member of the public.
It follows a separate incident last Monday evening when a man was seen by a member of the public taking items left in remembrance to the legendary ex-Town and England manager following his death at the age of 76 following a long battle with cancer.
Speaking about last week's incident, Suffolk police described the thief as 'callous' while Town manager Roy Keane said the person was an 'idiot' and a 'clown'.
Keane said: 'Unfortunately in all walks of life you are going to get one or two idiots around and that is disrespectful to those people who left things for Sir Bobby.
- 1 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 2 One of the world's largest container ships anchors off coast
- 3 Jailed this week: Paedophile and teen who blinded man
- 4 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 5 A146 near Beccles closed by police after crash
- 6 Woman who broke both legs in multiple places after fainting thanks NHS
- 7 Bank holiday beer festival to take place at seafront pavilion
- 8 New fully vegan café to open in Lowestoft
- 9 Is this Suffolk's most stylish beach hut?
- 10 Three men arrested after 'unofficial Supermarket Sweep' in town centre
'But we also have to remember all the thousands of people who paid their respects and we should not focus on one or two clowns.'
Members of the public started to leave their tributes around the Sir Bobby Robson statue on the day of his death on Friday, July 31.
This included flowers, shirts and scarves.
During a 13-year-old stint at Ipswich, Sir Bobby won the FA Cup and Uefa Cup. He also managed PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona before taking the helm at Newcastle United.
Following Saturday morning's incident, a 21-year-old man from the Burrell Road area of Ipswich was arrested and charged with theft.