Man charged with Sir Bobby thefts
A MAN has been charged with theft after a number of shirts and scarves left in tribute to Sir Bobby Robson were stolen from outside Portman Road.Suffolk police said a man was seen running past the Station Hotel, Burrell Road, with his hands full of Ipswich Town shirts in the early hours of Saturday morning.
A MAN has been charged with theft after a number of shirts and scarves left in tribute to Sir Bobby Robson were stolen from outside Portman Road.
Suffolk police said a man was seen running past the Station Hotel, Burrell Road, with his hands full of Ipswich Town shirts in the early hours of Saturday morning.
They were alerted to the incident by a member of the public.
It follows a separate incident last Monday evening when a man was seen by a member of the public taking items left in remembrance to the legendary ex-Town and England manager following his death at the age of 76 following a long battle with cancer.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking about last week's incident, Suffolk police described the thief as 'callous' while Town manager Roy Keane said the person was an 'idiot' and a 'clown'.
Keane said: 'Unfortunately in all walks of life you are going to get one or two idiots around and that is disrespectful to those people who left things for Sir Bobby.
- 1 Hotels launch search for more than 20 new staff members
- 2 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 3 New operator to be unveiled for Lowestoft pavilion regeneration
- 4 Vulnerable man abused by group of youths in Lowestoft
- 5 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 6 Diversions in place as fibre cable works continue in Lowestoft
- 7 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 8 Lowestoft man fined £2,000 for noise offences after warning
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
'But we also have to remember all the thousands of people who paid their respects and we should not focus on one or two clowns.'
Members of the public started to leave their tributes around the Sir Bobby Robson statue on the day of his death on Friday, July 31.
This included flowers, shirts and scarves.
During a 13-year-old stint at Ipswich, Sir Bobby won the FA Cup and Uefa Cup. He also managed PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona before taking the helm at Newcastle United.
Following Saturday morning's incident, a 21-year-old man from the Burrell Road area of Ipswich was arrested and charged with theft.