Man charged with Sir Bobby thefts
A MAN has been charged with theft after a number of shirts and scarves left in tribute to Sir Bobby Robson were stolen from outside Portman Road.Suffolk police said a man was seen running past the Station Hotel, Burrell Road, with his hands full of Ipswich Town shirts in the early hours of Saturday morning.
A MAN has been charged with theft after a number of shirts and scarves left in tribute to Sir Bobby Robson were stolen from outside Portman Road.
Suffolk police said a man was seen running past the Station Hotel, Burrell Road, with his hands full of Ipswich Town shirts in the early hours of Saturday morning.
They were alerted to the incident by a member of the public.
It follows a separate incident last Monday evening when a man was seen by a member of the public taking items left in remembrance to the legendary ex-Town and England manager following his death at the age of 76 following a long battle with cancer.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking about last week's incident, Suffolk police described the thief as 'callous' while Town manager Roy Keane said the person was an 'idiot' and a 'clown'.
Keane said: 'Unfortunately in all walks of life you are going to get one or two idiots around and that is disrespectful to those people who left things for Sir Bobby.
- 1 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
- 2 Friends launch fantasy horse racing site to combat problem gambling
- 3 Relief for kittiwakes as controversial netting removed
- 4 Lowestoft man badly hurt after being attacked by gang in his own home
- 5 Man released from hospital after being stabbed in Lowestoft
- 6 Have your say on plans for 150 homes at former hospital site
- 7 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
- 8 Lowestoft house fire starts in tumble dryer and rips through conservatory
- 9 Lockdown easing to go ahead - but Hancock won't rule out reversal
- 10 Green light for new shop's alcohol bid
'But we also have to remember all the thousands of people who paid their respects and we should not focus on one or two clowns.'
Members of the public started to leave their tributes around the Sir Bobby Robson statue on the day of his death on Friday, July 31.
This included flowers, shirts and scarves.
During a 13-year-old stint at Ipswich, Sir Bobby won the FA Cup and Uefa Cup. He also managed PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona before taking the helm at Newcastle United.
Following Saturday morning's incident, a 21-year-old man from the Burrell Road area of Ipswich was arrested and charged with theft.