Man fined for firing air rifle in park
A MAN bought an air rifle on an internet auction site before shooting a pellet at a tree in a park as children played nearby, a court has heard.Matthew Sleightholme, 33, was arrested after firing one pellet in Halesworth park, on April 16, said prosecutor Mitzy Bond.
A MAN bought an air rifle on an internet auction site before shooting a pellet at a tree in a park as children played nearby, a court has heard.
Matthew Sleightholme, 33, was arrested after firing one pellet in Halesworth park, on April 16, said prosecutor Mitzy Bond.
She told Lowestoft Magistrates' Court: 'There were a number of people in the park at the time, including children. The defendant appeared to have been drinking.'
Sleightholme, of Cleveland Road, Lowestoft, pleaded guilty to possessing an air weapon in a public place when he appeared in court on Tuesday. He was fined �100, and ordered to pay total costs of �58. Magistrates also ordered the destruction of the rifle.
Richard Mann, for Sleightholme, said he client bought the weapon on Ebay and did not believe he was doing anything wrong by firing it in the park, having previously seen people use airguns to shoot at targets there.
- 1 One of the world's largest container ships anchors off coast
- 2 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 3 Jailed this week: Paedophile and teen who blinded man
- 4 A146 near Beccles closed by police after crash
- 5 Woman who broke both legs in multiple places after fainting thanks NHS
- 6 Bank holiday beer festival to take place at seafront pavilion
- 7 New fully vegan café to open in Lowestoft
- 8 Three men arrested after 'unofficial Supermarket Sweep' in town centre
- 9 Mystery continues as owner of 'massive' snake yet to come forward
- 10 Family's appeal after factory worker's asbestos-related death