Man fined for firing air rifle in park
A MAN bought an air rifle on an internet auction site before shooting a pellet at a tree in a park as children played nearby, a court has heard.Matthew Sleightholme, 33, was arrested after firing one pellet in Halesworth park, on April 16, said prosecutor Mitzy Bond.
A MAN bought an air rifle on an internet auction site before shooting a pellet at a tree in a park as children played nearby, a court has heard.
Matthew Sleightholme, 33, was arrested after firing one pellet in Halesworth park, on April 16, said prosecutor Mitzy Bond.
She told Lowestoft Magistrates' Court: 'There were a number of people in the park at the time, including children. The defendant appeared to have been drinking.'
Sleightholme, of Cleveland Road, Lowestoft, pleaded guilty to possessing an air weapon in a public place when he appeared in court on Tuesday. He was fined �100, and ordered to pay total costs of �58. Magistrates also ordered the destruction of the rifle.
You may also want to watch:
Richard Mann, for Sleightholme, said he client bought the weapon on Ebay and did not believe he was doing anything wrong by firing it in the park, having previously seen people use airguns to shoot at targets there.
- 1 First look at Lowestoft's newest late night venue - part of £150k investment
- 2 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 3 Teens arrested in connection with burglaries and arson at Lowestoft schools
- 4 Man and woman accused of supplying cannabis and money laundering
- 5 New shop set to open in Lowestoft town centre
- 6 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 7 'Inspirational' Olympian Charley honoured during visit to former school
- 8 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 9 Former butchers shop in Lowestoft is sold at auction
- 10 'Together again': Swans reunited after dog attack in Lowestoft park