Man wrestled with robber for bike after being knocked into road
- Credit: IAN BURT
Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was pushed into the path of a car as a robber attempted to steal his bike in Lowestoft.
A 26-year-old man had been cycling down Rotterdam Road between 5pm and 5.10pm on Monday, April 2, before being flagged down by a man at the side of the road close to the roundabout with Normanston Drive and St Peter's Street.
The man, after asking the victim several questions, pushed the cyclist off his bike and into the road, causing a car to brake suddenly to avoid him.
He then cycled away along Normanston Drive before entering the cemetery, falling off the bike after attempting to ride it down the steps leading back onto Rotterdam Road.
The victim, who had chased the suspect, managed to take the bike back following a tussle, before the suspect fled the scene.
You may also want to watch:
The suspect spoke with a London accent and is described as white, in his late 30s, 5ft 10in tall, of stocky build with curly, ear-length black hair with some grey streaks.
Police say he was wearing a black woollen beanie hat with a white label, a black waist-length coat with black patches on the elbows, light blue denim jeans, brown trainers with white soles, and glasses with black frames and red ends to the arms.
- 1 Woman punches man on doorstep and snatches his mobile phone
- 2 RNLI called out to rescue 'soggy doggy'
- 3 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 CCTV shows moment father who died was restrained by Pontins security staff
- 6 Friends and family raise £15,000 for father with rare cancer
- 7 Man admits crashing into five cars and a level crossing
- 8 Road to be closed and traffic diverted for overnight works
- 9 Police officers could lose jobs over father's holiday park death
- 10 'New lease of life' - Pubs ready after £35,000 investment
Detectives are appealing for witnesses to the incident to contact them, with them particularly keen to trace the driver of the car which was forced to brake sharply and a dog walker who shouted at them whilst wrestling for the bike in the cemetery.
Anyone with information is asked to contact East CID at Lowestoft Police Station on 101 quoting reference 17811/18, or to call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.