Mark is aiming to complete running events to raise funds for centre in Lowestoft
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A dedicated volunteer with a passion for long distance running has set himself a target of raising £2,000 by taking part in a number of challenging races.
Mark Smith, 41 is hoping to raise the money for Lowestoft MENCAP, based at the Unity Centre on Milton Road East, after thieves broke in and stole items and damaged property earlier this year.
Mr Smith, of Denmark Road, is a member of the Waveney Valley Athletics Club and is also a local football referee.
He recently completed his first challenge, the Scores Race in Lowestoft, finishing in 78th place overall and beating his personal best time by three minutes despite suffering from 'a really bad cold'.
He will also take part in the Great Run Birmingham and the Norwich Half Marathon, with many other races planned - including the 2016 London Marathon, subject to confirmation from the ballot.
You may also want to watch:
'As volunteers we do a lot of work for those with mild learning disabilities,' Mr Smith said.
'The break-ins were very upsetting for a lot of people and I wanted to raise funds to recover the money lost and to buy new equipment and games for our members to use.
- 1 Popular family business opens new shop in Lowestoft town centre
- 2 New shop set to open in Lowestoft town centre
- 3 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 4 'Inspirational' Olympian Charley honoured during visit to former school
- 5 Traffic to be diverted with busy road in Lowestoft closed for 10 days
- 6 Seaside town to test flood defences to prepare for 'tidal surge'
- 7 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 8 NessFest to return to Lowestoft with free events all week
- 9 New group offering specialist support to children and youngsters
- 10 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
'Of course, the centre would be delighted with any donations, however big or small, so please spread the word.'
n To make a donation or follow Mark Smith's progress, visit: www.gofundme.com/unitycentre-run
For further information about The Unity Centre, visit: www.lowestoftand districtmencap.co.uk.