Mark is aiming to complete running events to raise funds for centre in Lowestoft
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A dedicated volunteer with a passion for long distance running has set himself a target of raising £2,000 by taking part in a number of challenging races.
Mark Smith, 41 is hoping to raise the money for Lowestoft MENCAP, based at the Unity Centre on Milton Road East, after thieves broke in and stole items and damaged property earlier this year.
Mr Smith, of Denmark Road, is a member of the Waveney Valley Athletics Club and is also a local football referee.
He recently completed his first challenge, the Scores Race in Lowestoft, finishing in 78th place overall and beating his personal best time by three minutes despite suffering from 'a really bad cold'.
He will also take part in the Great Run Birmingham and the Norwich Half Marathon, with many other races planned - including the 2016 London Marathon, subject to confirmation from the ballot.
You may also want to watch:
'As volunteers we do a lot of work for those with mild learning disabilities,' Mr Smith said.
'The break-ins were very upsetting for a lot of people and I wanted to raise funds to recover the money lost and to buy new equipment and games for our members to use.
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 4 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 5 Heartbreak as netting traps and entangles endangered bird species
- 6 Cornish man in search for long lost Lowestoft relatives
- 7 Man arrested after police find 200 cannabis plants in building
- 8 New convenience store earmarked for former Boots pharmacy
- 9 Town's Post Office branch to reopen
- 10 Man, 22, charged over stabbing as victim remains 'critical'
'Of course, the centre would be delighted with any donations, however big or small, so please spread the word.'
n To make a donation or follow Mark Smith's progress, visit: www.gofundme.com/unitycentre-run
For further information about The Unity Centre, visit: www.lowestoftand districtmencap.co.uk.