Merging on ridiculous
DO you think the new measures for the 'merge in turn' operation on the approach to the bascule bridge in Lowestoft could help the flow of traffic?On September 1 I had to travel the road I try to avoid.
DO you think the new measures for the 'merge in turn' operation on the approach to the bascule bridge in Lowestoft could help the flow of traffic?
On September 1 I had to travel the road I try to avoid. Backed up to the Asda roundabout? This can't happen if 'merge in turn' is used. Ha ha!
Two lanes backed up … not to the Asda roundabout, not to the King's roundabout … but right up Tom Crisp Way, yes, two lanes all the way through.
Finally reaching King's roundabout I thought I would divert through Oulton Broad. Travelling west I noticed the traffic heading toward the bridge was backed up to Kimberley Road. At the mini roundabout at the top of Kirkley Run I met the traffic queuing to get through Oulton Broad. There was also a queue of traffic waiting to get out of Kirkley Run, to add to the misery whether they were to go left or right.
Inching forward, finally reaching the School Road roundabout, rather than wait longer, I took a left into Colville Road. Traffic heading toward the School Road roundabout queing up to Boon Drive.
Reaching the next mini roundabout in Conrad Road I met the traffic jam yet again. This queue was along Elm Tree Road going past the school. I finally reached my destination north of the bridge by going via Beccles and taking the Great Yarmouth road.
- 1 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 2 Thug who 'climbed in window and threatened man for over an hour' is jailed
- 3 'Exciting new chapter' at former hospital site for Danny's charity
- 4 Lowestoft to receive millions of pounds of investment
- 5 Serial beggar jailed for 12 weeks after breaching Criminal Behaviour Order
- 6 Weightlifter abused hospital staff after five day drinking binge
- 7 'A fantastic accolade': Top award honour for community staff nurse
- 8 'Little miracle' baby white rhino introduced into zoo's main enclosure
- 9 Honda motorbike stolen as garage targeted at home in Lowestoft
- 10 'It will look fantastic': Work to restore former Post Office under way
I class myself as lucky, I can avoid this nightmare most of the time. Some people must get caught up in this every day.
Four into three don't go. I vote for a four lane bridge. This should have been done back in 1972 when the bridge was first replaced.