Mixture of sleet and snow begins to fall in north Suffolk
SOME residents in Suffolk have woken to a mixture of sleet and snow, with forecaster predicting that icy conditions will grip the county overnight.
Jim Bacon, of WeatherQuest, said temperatures today will reach a maximum of 3C with 'raw and cold' winds.
He said: 'It looks set to be a cloudy day with raw winds, sleet and snow – we are getting the whole nine yards of wintry weather here.'
And as the sleet falls on Lowestoft this afternoon, Mr Bacon warned that today's 'marginal' weather would bring in icy conditions overnight.
'Anyone travelling tonight or thinking of getting out early tomorrow to finish Christmas shopping will be faced with ice on the roads,' he added.
The ambulance service have warned motorists to travel safely during the potentially hazardous conditions.
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: 'While the snowy conditions continue to present a hazard, particularly on smaller roads and side streets, motorists should remain particularly careful.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Community rally together after fire rips through family home
- 3 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
- 4 One person treated at scene of house fire in Lowestoft
- 5 Lowestoft jeweller gets TV spot in Kirstie Allsopp's Handmade Christmas
- 6 Pressure group anger over speeding drivers on busy bypass
- 7 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 8 Fallen tree blocks train lines near Lowestoft
- 9 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 10 Investigations ongoing after stolen moped involved in crash
'The public should wear appropriate footwear whilst out in icy and snowy conditions to avoid injury, and only making necessary journeys by road.
'We rely on the public's good sense to use the 999 service wisely.'