Mixture of sleet and snow begins to fall in north Suffolk
SOME residents in Suffolk have woken to a mixture of sleet and snow, with forecaster predicting that icy conditions will grip the county overnight.
Jim Bacon, of WeatherQuest, said temperatures today will reach a maximum of 3C with 'raw and cold' winds.
He said: 'It looks set to be a cloudy day with raw winds, sleet and snow – we are getting the whole nine yards of wintry weather here.'
And as the sleet falls on Lowestoft this afternoon, Mr Bacon warned that today's 'marginal' weather would bring in icy conditions overnight.
'Anyone travelling tonight or thinking of getting out early tomorrow to finish Christmas shopping will be faced with ice on the roads,' he added.
You may also want to watch:
The ambulance service have warned motorists to travel safely during the potentially hazardous conditions.
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: 'While the snowy conditions continue to present a hazard, particularly on smaller roads and side streets, motorists should remain particularly careful.
- 1 Man in 30s dies after crash on A12
- 2 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 3 Two men assaulted at children's play park
- 4 Man fled into KFC after being chased at knifepoint in Lowestoft
- 5 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 6 Dancing doc, 93, boogies for four hours in town centre for charity
- 7 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 8 More fatal crashes on Suffolk roads this year already than whole of 2020
- 9 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 10 Lowestoft man denies breaching restraining order moments after it was made
'The public should wear appropriate footwear whilst out in icy and snowy conditions to avoid injury, and only making necessary journeys by road.
'We rely on the public's good sense to use the 999 service wisely.'