Mobility scooter set alight and used as barbeque on high street
- Credit: Archant
A person has been arrested after a mobility scooter went up in flames in the centre of Lowestoft on Bank Holiday Monday.
Photographs show the scooter burning in the middle of London Road North yesterday evening at around 5.30pm. It was then pushed to the side of the wall of the Volunteer pub.
The fire and rescue service said it is believed the scooter was being used as a makeshift barbeque.
The police and the fire service were called to the scene, with two crews from North Lowestoft and Wrentham attending the incident.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue said: 'We soaked all of the mobility scooter, especially around the battery and ignition in order to reduce the risk of an explosion.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'One unit put out the flames and focused on the supply and ignition. The crews were stood down just after 7pm.'
A spokesman for Suffolk Police said: 'The man is in custody and enquiries are ongoing at the moment.'
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences in Lowestoft
- 2 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 3 Man hands himself into police after firearms incident in Lowestoft
- 4 Historic Lowestoft pub transformed as new seafood restaurant opens
- 5 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 6 Smokehouse welcomes arrival of new fish smoking kiln - by crane
- 7 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 8 Unique 'upside down' home with panoramic views is for sale
- 9 Man, 45, jailed for Lowestoft burglaries
- 10 Man hit with club and struck with knife in Lowestoft assault