Mobility scooter set alight and used as barbeque on high street
- Credit: Archant
A person has been arrested after a mobility scooter went up in flames in the centre of Lowestoft on Bank Holiday Monday.
Photographs show the scooter burning in the middle of London Road North yesterday evening at around 5.30pm. It was then pushed to the side of the wall of the Volunteer pub.
The fire and rescue service said it is believed the scooter was being used as a makeshift barbeque.
The police and the fire service were called to the scene, with two crews from North Lowestoft and Wrentham attending the incident.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue said: 'We soaked all of the mobility scooter, especially around the battery and ignition in order to reduce the risk of an explosion.'
You may also want to watch:
He added: 'One unit put out the flames and focused on the supply and ignition. The crews were stood down just after 7pm.'
A spokesman for Suffolk Police said: 'The man is in custody and enquiries are ongoing at the moment.'
- 1 Two Lowestoft recycling rounds costing £50,000 in contaminated waste
- 2 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 3 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 4 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 5 'Life and soul of the party': Lowestoft pub boss remembered
- 6 Sadness at latest Lowestoft town centre store closure
- 7 Teen burglar netted £80k of goods in four-year spree
- 8 Warning after man duped into paying £300 to 'forceful' rogue traders
- 9 Man charged with driving offences following police pursuit
- 10 Great-great-grandmother celebrates 101st birthday