Mobility scooter set alight and used as barbeque on high street
PUBLISHED: 10:02 08 May 2018 | UPDATED: 15:18 08 May 2018
A person has been arrested after a mobility scooter went up in flames in the centre of Lowestoft on Bank Holiday Monday.
Photographs show the scooter burning in the middle of London Road North yesterday evening at around 5.30pm. It was then pushed to the side of the wall of the Volunteer pub.
The fire and rescue service said it is believed the scooter was being used as a makeshift barbeque.
The police and the fire service were called to the scene, with two crews from North Lowestoft and Wrentham attending the incident.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue said: “We soaked all of the mobility scooter, especially around the battery and ignition in order to reduce the risk of an explosion.”
He added: “One unit put out the flames and focused on the supply and ignition. The crews were stood down just after 7pm.”
A spokesman for Suffolk Police said: “The man is in custody and enquiries are ongoing at the moment.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.