More pupils miss lessons for holidays
THE number of children being taken out of school for holidays increased dramatically in Suffolk between 2008 and 2009, new figures reveal.Unauthorised absences rose by more than 1,000, and the number of half school days lost shot up to nearly 58,000.
THE number of children being taken out of school for holidays increased dramatically in Suffolk between 2008 and 2009, new figures reveal.
Unauthorised absences rose by more than 1,000, and the number of half school days lost shot up to nearly 58,000. However, Graham Newman, county councillor with responsibility for children and young people, said the numbers are thought to have fallen substantially over the past 12 months. 'The numbers went up because there were changes in 2007 in the way unauthorised absences were recorded. That meant a lot more were picked up,' he said.
'Since then we have been working hard with schools and parents to bring them down and I know that in 2009/10 the figures will show a substantial drop.'
A key reason for the number of children being taken out of school during term is thought to be the cost of holidays - and the premium charged by holiday companies during school breaks. In the past, schools took a more relaxed view of youngsters having time off during term, except for those sitting external exams. Now they take a firmer line.
You may also want to watch:
A Suffolk County Council spokesman said: 'We recognise the dilemma relating to the cost of holidays before and then during school holidays. But the law is quite clear that removing young people from school simply for a cheaper holiday is not allowed.'
- 1 Diversions in place as fibre cable works continue in Lowestoft
- 2 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 3 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 4 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 5 Families urged to lock their sheds after string of burglaries
- 6 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 7 Severe delays on A146 after two-vehicle crash
- 8 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 9 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 10 Stricken yacht towed to safety by lifeboat crew