Search

More than 100 fined in seatbelt campaign

PUBLISHED: 15:34 25 February 2010 | UPDATED: 16:29 06 July 2010

MORE than 100 Suffolk motorists were fined during a week-long European seatbelt enforcement crackdown, police said today.

A total of 94 drivers and seven passengers were given £60 fixed penalty notices for not belting-up between February 15 and last Sunday.

MORE than 100 Suffolk motorists were fined during a week-long European seatbelt enforcement crackdown, police said today.

A total of 94 drivers and seven passengers were given £60 fixed penalty notices for not belting-up between February 15 and last Sunday.

This year to date the average weekly number of notices issued for seatbelt offences in the county is 41.

The 101 fines given out during the latest week-long campaign show a slight increase on a similar crackdown in September last year, where 92 notices were issued.

Chief Inspector Mike Bacon from the roads policing unit said: “The results of this campaign make it all too apparent that there are still too many people that are ignoring road safety messages.

“It is disappointing that so many fixed penalty notices were issued, one person knowingly taking a risk like this is too many, let alone 101.

“I cannot understand why people don't wear their seatbelt. It's a simple and quick task of which the importance should not be underestimated.

“Even on short journeys or at low speeds seatbelts can mean the difference between life and death.

“We will continue to crackdown on this offence throughout the year and I would appeal to all motorists and passengers to wear their seatbelts on every journey.”

Any motorists caught without a seatbelt are given a £60 notice, but could in extreme case face a fine of up to £500.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists